Quick question about jerky in the DBS

Started by RAF128, November 06, 2009, 01:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I just bought some jerky racks.    I've got the 6 tray DBS.   Where in the smoker would you or should I put them?    At the top, in the middle or at the bottom.

FLBentRider

For jerky, I start at the top and work my way down.

The lower racks are going to get more heat than the ones above, regardless where you start.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I try to do all my cooking in the top half, the temp is more even up there.

When doing a single rack I put it on the shelf just above the little round sensor on the inside back of the smoker.

Oh Ya I also have the DBS

KyNola

Best of luck RAF!  I did my first batch a couple of weeks ago.  Turned out great thanks to many of my friends here talking me through it.

I have 6 pounds of ground beef and 3 pounds of ground turkey curing up in the freezer for jerky as I type.  If you haven't tried the ground meat method by freezing ground meat with all the spices and curing agents in it and running it through a slicer before smoking/dehydrating, I highly recommend it.  My fellow smoker friend from KY turned me on to it.  Works great.  Thanks Stargazer!  Miss you on the forum.  Hope your Dad is well.

KyNola 

RAF128

Quote from: KyNola on November 06, 2009, 02:29:36 PM

I have 6 pounds of ground beef and 3 pounds of ground turkey curing up in the freezer for jerky as I type.  If you haven't tried the ground meat method by freezing ground meat with all the spices and curing agents in it and running it through a slicer before smoking/dehydrating, I highly recommend it.  My fellow smoker friend from KY turned me on to it.  Works great.  Thanks Stargazer!  Miss you on the forum.  Hope your Dad is well.

KyNola 

I've made jerky many times from ground meat.   I've always put it through a jerky gun.    I've never tried your method or even thought of it.    Do you let the cure work before you freeze it?    I'm also guessing that the slicer you use is electric.   Do you partial thaw it before slicing?

FLBentRider

KyNola,

Have you tried the whole muscle jerky ?

I've never done the ground.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR,
I've never done whole muscle jerky before.  Heck, this is only my second batch of jerky ever.

RAF,
I mix the cure and spices in 1/4 cup of water per pound of meat and thoroughly mix into the meat.  Take an 8X8 cake pan, line it with plastic wrap.  Pack the ground meat mixture into the pan, and wrap in the plastic wrap.  Invert the pan and you now have a "cake" of ground meat, weighing approximately 3 pounds.  Into the freezer until firm.  When ready to slicer(yes, mine is electric) I set mine at 3/8 inches thick and slice.  I do not wait for it to partially thaw.  When sliced, smoke/dehydrate as normal.  I find this method gives you very even thickness and aids in finishing at the same time rather than some getting finished before others.

KyNola