Deer Jerky Question for you pros

Started by thirtydaZe, January 05, 2012, 10:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Guy i work with just got his deer back, and brought some jerky to work to share.  The first piece i had, i had eaten about 1/2 of it but than a very bitter taste started to take over the flavor.

The package says "deer ground jerky".

Looks like a lot of the pieces have a white film starting to develop on the surface.  we figure this to be the cause of the bitter taste.

Is this mold, over cured?  any suggestions, and most importantly, is it safe?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

OU812

My bets are they didnt remove the blue skin or the fat before grinding the deer along with he probably got a hodge podge of meat from many deer in his mix.

Most places wait till there done trimming for the day then dump all the trimmings in the grinder and divvy it up after the grind to the approx weight of the deer you brought in.

Thats why I started processing my own deer yeeeeeeeeeears ago.

Sailor

What OU812 said.  White stuff on meat ain't good unless it is gravy.  :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SmokingShark

The jerky I got back after thawing had little white specs, and didn't change the taste of mine at all.. ??

Piker

Looks exactly the same as some I had stored in the frig in a plastic bag. It looked and tasted like mold so out it went. Piker

ghost9mm

Quote from: OU812 on January 05, 2012, 12:07:10 PM
My bets are they didnt remove the blue skin or the fat before grinding the deer along with he probably got a hodge podge of meat from many deer in his mix.

Most places wait till there done trimming for the day then dump all the trimmings in the grinder and divvy it up after the grind to the approx weight of the deer you brought in.

Thats why I started processing my own deer yeeeeeeeeeears ago.

X 2 and enjoy doing the processing our selves...I know what is in my venison.
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

thirtydaZe

thanks for all the info guys.  no expert here but something was definitely wrong.

my buddy is currently swimming in pissed off, but at least we didn't sit there and choke all that down.

thanks again!

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Indy Smoker

I have to join the other members on this one.  I process myself and use cut strips vs. grinds.  I use the Reveo marivac tumbler to marinate and then smoke/dehydrate.

nasels

It may have had too much fat and it went rancid. Silver skin in my experience does not cause a bitter taste but is not very palatable. Silver skin or meat membrane is stringy and chewy.

Shark your white specks were most likely beef fat added by the processor which is very common unless you ask it not to be added. The beef fat makes the lean venison stick together a little when making burgers etc.

Again, from what I can tell from the above pic --- too much fat gone rancid.

viper125

could just be dried salt or fat too.Some people use 80/20 mix and for jerky you want no fat or as little possible. I never had ground jerky go bad unless in refrigerator too long. Kept it over a year frozen. No difference between ground and muscle I can see.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

nasels

Quote from: viper125 on January 09, 2012, 03:51:33 PM
Some people use 80/20 mix and for jerky you want no fat or as little possible. I never had ground jerky go bad unless in refrigerator too long.

Ditto -- no fat in my venison GB jerky

viper125

Yes Fat is the number one thing that turns rancid in jerky. Thats why people who first start making it has problems mostly. Grinding your own lean meat is the best way. But if not buy lean and defat it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: viper125 on January 10, 2012, 08:35:27 AM
Yes Fat is the number one thing that turns rancid in jerky. Thats why people who first start making it has problems mostly. Grinding your own lean meat is the best way. But if not buy lean and defat it.

X2