How long is too long when brining?

Started by TxSmoker, February 17, 2007, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Not sure how much help I'll be, but I fully submerge anything I'm brining, and to get those birds to sit up, how about shoving a beer or soda can up their butt (not sure if that'd work since they make racks to hold the can too).

Eo0014

thanks for your response.

a beer can will plug up the cavity of the birds, preventing smoke to flow through the bird

Tiny Tim

Well, yeah...I didn't say it was perfect.  :D  :D

Eo0014

Habanero Smoker

When brining, the meat or poultry needs to be fully submerge. There should not be any part of the bird exposed to air. You may need to place a heavy plate on top of the birds to make sure that they are submerged and stay submerged; also make sure that they are fully thawed before placing them in the brine.

You don't have to do the birds vertically. I don't usually smoke them vertically, I generally smoke them horizontally. If you smoke them horizontally, be careful when you remove the birds. A lot of juices collect in the cavity, and if you are not careful you will wind up giving yourself a hot foot.

Also welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Eo0014

Habanero -

Thanks for the input.  I've actually been a member for over a year, just been laying in the background.  The weather here in NY is getting better so I'm looking to play with the bs this weekend and wanted to do something new.  Hopefully it'll work out OK.  Any recommendations on flavor?

What about times for (3) 4 pound bi

headgames

Personaly I tie up my birds and hang them upside down .......  with the neck skin cut away  the opening by the neck is larger then the opening between the legs .  seems to  smoke pretty good  :)
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Gizmo

E - I like light flavored wood on birds.  Oak and apple have been good choices for my taste buds but like most things, everyone can have their favorite.  I have used hickory as well on chicken but not in the BS (it was on a gas grill with foil chip pouch or a charcoal grill with soaked wood chips). 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Eo0014 on March 08, 2007, 04:14:28 PM
Habanero -

Thanks for the input.  I've actually been a member for over a year, just been laying in the background.  The weather here in NY is getting better so I'm looking to play with the bs this weekend and wanted to do something new.  Hopefully it'll work out OK.  Any recommendations on flavor?

What about times for (3) 4 pound bi

Another fellow New Yorker. I live in Eastern NY, near the western foothills of the Berkshires. This weekend through next week looks good, with high temperatures either in the 50's or high 40's.

I usually use maple, and apply no more than 3 hours of smoke. As Gizmo stated, everyone has their favorite flavor, for me cherry leaves a bitter after taste in my mouth.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Eo0014

Eastern Long Island here.

3 hours smoke.  How much overall time in the bs would you estimate?

Habanero Smoker

I have a hard time estimating times, since each smoke is different, and I rarely just do a couple of chickens by themselves. I'm sure others on the board should be able to provide times. My guess would be, if you smoke them at around 225°F-250°F it may take 3-4 hours. Poultry doesn't have to be smoked low and slow, just low enough so you have time to apply enough smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Hab's is spot on about the times. When smoking just chickens, they are usually ready at around the 4 plus hour mark for me depending on how many. In the regular BS I shoot at 4 hours for two to three medium size birds. When I'm doing 12 plus of them in the bigger smoker I can count on adding 2 hours to the time.
3 hrs. of smoke seems to be my favorite amount but thats all a taste matter to you and company. I try to keep the temp at 210F / 220F constant.
Don't be affraid to start them earlier though. They hold quite well for an hour or two at 165 or so and they also reheat very nice in the oven if need be. I did seem to find that the brined verses unbrined birds reheat better and tasted moister.
Just my input from trial and lots of opps (dogs love that part). ;D Have fun.

Gordo

especially with chickens, the longer they sit the better the smoke flavor.  A good smoky chicken does not taste like a good smokey chicken right out of the Bradley.  FTC for a couple of hours - or better yet - wrap and refrigerate overnight then heat and serve.  I always vacuum seal mine.  If not vacuum sealed, still good, just not as much as after a good rest.
Gordo
Unskyled laber