When to take bacon for flavoring/fat out?

Started by nodak, January 04, 2006, 05:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

When I put bacon above a BB or brisket when should I take the bacon out or leave it in the whole time???

Thanks.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Oldman

nodak,

When I do a brisket I place the fat I trimmed off of the brisket on the upper shelf. The couple of times I used bacon I remove it once I felt it had completely rendered out.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

One time I did a pork roast I left the bacon in the entire 20 hours.  When I extrated the meat, I had a nibble of the Rendered and cooked bacon as well.  It was good, a bit chewy (a lot like Jerky actually).  

The next day I tried it for breakfast (re-warmed in Micro) and it was nasty.  It sure had some smoke flavor but way to rubbery and burnt.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nodak

I made a BB and took the bacon out after 4 hrs smoke.  I think I should have left it in longer, but I didn't trim the BB at all so it had a pretty good fat layer and the bacon probably wasn't neccessary.  But boy did the bacon taste good on a sandwich[:p] when I took it out.  I use what is called bacon ends (small pieces, waste after thet trim bacon for pkgs) It's reasonable and can be somewhat fatty sometimes, so it works great except you need a jerky rack or something so some of it don't fall through the holes[:(].

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

IKnowWood

nodak

The network traffic is causing this site and others bonkers.  I just wait and if it looks like I got an error on the post.  I jut copy the words.  Re-load the thread and make sure my post did not make it there.

This delay is getting annoying.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nodak

My fault thought it was my connection/server after I tried posting it would say page not available. never had that b4 ussually just slow.

bsolomon

nodak - remember that as the owner of a post, you have the ability to edit and delete.  So if you know you are getting multiple copies ddue to server errors, you can go back and clean them up if you want to.

nodak

Thanks bsolomon I was so mad at what I thought was my server problem, That I wasn't thinking when I found out it wasn't.   I was working from home today and thought it was going to be one of those bad computer days u know (and that's worse than a bad hair day for women).  

Gordon

you're supposed to take it out???

Gordo
Unskyled layber

oguard

On a long smoke like a brisket(overnite)I take the bacon out in the morning.On a shorter smoke for a small roast(beef or pork)I leave in the whole time.Makes great bacon bits for toppings or something for the chef to munch on.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.