Temperature probes

Started by BudMeister, July 23, 2011, 10:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BudMeister

This may cause some eyes to roll back, but hey... I'm new to this.  Anyhow, I bought a Maverick 732 dual probe wireless thermometer from "World's Largest BBQ Store"  (bbqs.com) and am about to smoke my first 'project', a pork tenderloin. 

My question is this:  Where is the best place to have the probe wires exit the cabinet?  I can't find anything within these forums that say.  I also like the idea of an aluminum water pan instead of the bowl that needs changing all the time.  I would think the temp could drop considerably when the door is opened to change the water.

Thanx

mikecorn.1

I drop my temp probes from the top. Today I'm making some ribs and I fed it between the door and the cabinet on the hinged side. Seems to work also.
Mike

muebe

I drop them down the vent ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

BudMeister

Ah, come on!  Down the vent??  I must be functionally illiterate.  That's too easy!  Sheeeesh..................

muebe

Quote from: BudMeister on July 23, 2011, 11:15:21 AM

Ah, come on!  Down the vent??  I must be functionally illiterate.  That's too easy!  Sheeeesh..................

Just remember K.I.S.S. and you will be fine ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

YUP!!! Down the vent, now wasn't that easy...that's where my is right now, working (playing) on some beef sticks..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Used to put mine down the vent but figured out pretty quickly that it makes rotating and moving the racks somewhat difficult.  That's why mine now go in from the side and just close the door on the cables.  It will seal just fine around the cables.  Makes dealing with the racks much easier if you have to rotate and move bottom to top.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: KyNola on July 23, 2011, 01:05:39 PM
Used to put mine down the vent but figured out pretty quickly that it makes rotating and moving the racks somewhat difficult.  That's why mine now go in from the side and just close the door on the cables.  It will seal just fine around the cables.  Makes dealing with the racks much easier if you have to rotate and move bottom to top.

That's what I found out today. Didnt like the cable in the way. A little too late for me.  :-\   I think its a whole lot better.
Mike

TedEbear

I put the probe in the meat prior to taking the rack out to the smoker.  When it is finished cooking I don't have to deal with removing a hot probe when I take out the rack.  The wire is thin enough that the door seals around it just fine and no gap.