Greetings from Salt Spring Island

Started by SaltSpringSmoker, July 01, 2009, 08:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltSpringSmoker

As a first-time poster, I just wanted to thank the senior members of the forum for the tremendous knowledge and recipes you enthusiastically share with inexperienced but determined smokers such as myself.  It makes owning a Bradley Smoker fun and rewarding, and for that the company and all of the silent forum users in particular owe you all a big big thank you.

To date, I have used recipes provided by WesTexasSmoker (brisket), TenPoint5 (pork baby backs and spares), and NePaSmoker (pork butt) to achieve truly excellent results.  As an example, I thought I might share pictures (First time trying this.  Using the tutorial provided by FLBentRider.  Another thank you needed there.) from last weekend's batch of pork baby backs made using the TenPoint5 Plan as we have come to call it.  The left-hand rack is treated with PYM and a simple garlic heavy rub I made, while the right-hand rack is coated with a store-bought (Superstore) pork rub. 

Here's the homemade rub rack after 3 hours of maple at 220 C and 1.5 hours boating in apple juice at the same temperature.

Here's the same rack after saucing and heating at 220 C in my OBS for the final hour.

And finally, here's the rack on the table ready to eat.

It didn't last long.  Not surprising, as it was smokey, moist, tender, and delicious, like it always comes out when I use the TenPoint5 Plan.

So many thanks to all the Hero Members and Members Extraordinaire.  You are a big reason for my modest success and great satisfaction with the Bradley Smoker.

Best,

SaltSpringSmoker

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome SSS. Looks like you did well and studied. Those ribs look great and bet they tasted even better. This forum has the best people and will help with any question you might have. Keep up the good work.
HawkeyeSmokes

NePaSmoKer

Triple S

That spread looks awsome. Good job.

Anytime you need something just ask, any of us are more than willing to help out. 10.5 is a good guy and he is pretty busy. wts thinks mesquite is the only wood on the planet (just funning wts) flb is pretty dang good too. And me  ;D i think i snore blue smoke  :D

Glad to have you with us, loads of great and smart folks here with lots of tricks and tips.

Enjoy

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi SaltSpringSmoker and welcome to the forum.

Great write up and congrats on your success! Ya did yourself proud!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

seemore

those look better then mine  >:( wow great job salt spring ...
seemore..............

beefmann

smokeitall

Welcome aboard.

Those looked liked they turned out great.

SaltSpringSmoker

Thanks to all for the kind comments and words of encouragement.  It's clear that this is a pretty special group and I can't thank you enough (or should I say my family and friends can't thank you enough) for showing this old salty dog some new smoking tricks.

Best,

TripleS

Smokin Soon

Saltspring, Looks like you have done your homework and have some beautiful results. You got it going now! Whats next?

deb415611

KyNola

Welcome triple S!
Really nice work there.  Congratulations.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard there Triple S!!! Them is some good looking Ribs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Triple S!  Nice looking ribs ya got there!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

SaltSpringSmoker

Hey 10.5,

The ribs look good because they're your ribs. ;D  I just followed the instructions like I do every time.  And every time they turn out great.  I have to assume they call you 10.5 because when folks eat your ribs they say "Mmmmmmm!  I gotta give those ribs a score of 10.5 out of 10."

Thanks again for all the info and words of encouragement.

SSS

Tenpoint5

Quote from: SaltSpringSmoker on July 02, 2009, 06:55:14 AM
Hey 10.5,

The ribs look good because they're your ribs. ;D  I just followed the instructions like I do every time.  And every time they turn out great.  I have to assume they call you 10.5 because when folks eat your ribs they say "Mmmmmmm!  I gotta give those ribs a score of 10.5 out of 10."

Thanks again for all the info and words of encouragement.

SSS

I wish that was the case!!! The folks that eat my ribs are 10, 9, 7, and 5 can't forget the Momma either. They either eat them  which is a good thing, or they say "I'm not hungry". The 7yr old will Pull the "I don't like Meat" thing.

Tenpoint 5 comes from the 5 Tenpoint whitetail racks on the walls in my office.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!