Help Bone in Pork Loin

Started by drizzt26, June 02, 2007, 09:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drizzt26

I am 1 week into my BS.  I marinated my bone in pork loin as per the recipe on the BS website.  What are you guys recommendations on amount of time I should smoke it?  How about FTC should/shouldn't?  Thanks

Tiny Tim

Bear in mind that I've only done boneless loins.  I usually keep the smoke time short...around 2 hours.  I like some smoke flavor, but too much overpowers the meat that I also like to taste.  FTC on a loin is a judgement call.  I wouldn't if it was mine, but there are people here that probably would.

I usually let the IT get to around 150 or so, then cool it down and slice for lunch meat, that I heat in the microwave when I make a sammich.  I guess bone in won't slice quite as easy, now will it? :D

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum drizzt26!  I have not done one yet, but TT's method is probably what I would do.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Which recipe are you using?  If it's that plum based marinade, you're going to like it.  

I would expect a bone in loin to need some additional cooking time to get up to your desired internal temp.  Overall cooking time will depend on your cooking temp as well.  When I did my loin for Mother's day (a boneless one)  I cooked it about 6 hours at 220F (2.5 hours of smoke).

I had read various reports of how long it would take to cook this big hunk of loin (between 4 and seven hours, or maybe more depending on weather) so I started early and then FTC'ed to maintain temp until the target meal time.  I would not have FTC'ed if the meat finished closer to meal time; just would've tented loosely with foil for 15 minutes.  

Good luck and welcome
Consiglieri

hillbillysmoker

I do loins often. I rub them down the night before with honey mustard and Legg's maple seasoning. I use a cabinet temp of 225 and take them to 160 degrees for slicing.  You can also cover with bacon for moisture if you desire.  For me FTC is not necessary.  Have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bad Flynch

If in doubt, take a boning knive and debone it. It is not at all complicated.
B.F.

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...