First Chicken

Started by Behr, December 16, 2012, 12:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Behr

Hello, I got a new bradley smoker and for my first attempt i would like to smoke a whole chicken. I will smoke (hickory)for 2.5hr @ 250* and then finish off in oven @ 350* till i hit 170* IT. My question is, do i really need to brine my chicken first seeing how i will be cooking @that high of temp? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

mikecorn.1

I never brine and it always comes out great. Other like to brine. Try one of each and let us know what ya think.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

Brining infuses moisture into the chicken. If your chicken was already enhanced, brining isn't needed or probably not recommended.
You don't have to brine. As suggested, do one of each and test the difference for the future.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on December 16, 2012, 01:58:18 PM
I never brine and it always comes out great. Other like to brine. Try one of each and let us know what ya think.

Ditto

I would pull outta the oven when the IT hits 160 F and allow to rest 20 min,,the IT will climb to 165-170 while resting

KyNola

Quote from: Behr on December 16, 2012, 12:31:35 PM
My question is, do i really need to brine my chicken first seeing how i will be cooking @that high of temp? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Not sure if I am interpreting this statement incorrectly or not.  Just in case I am interpreting it correctly, brining is primarily only used as a flavor enhancer.  It is not a curing process except on the occasions where you actually put a curing agent in the wet brine.

Hope this helps.

Behr

Thank ya'll for your advice. I'm new, and unsure of what i'm doing. I thought brining was a way of killing bacteria w/ salt and sugar. New question: should i cure the bird or is that only necessary for slow and cold smoking? Like w/ beef jerky.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Behr;

Welcome to the forum.

Brining without nitrites, is a way to keep the meat moist after it has been cooked, and to add flavor. Salt and sugar do not kill bacteria, but they have properties to inhibit bacterial growth. Adding a nitrite to the brine in sufficient amounts will both kill and inhibit bacterial growth. But as previously mentioned, if you chicken has already been injected with a salt and/or phosphate solution, you don't need to brine.

When you see a reference to low & slow; it is referring to cooking meats at barbecuing temperatures. That range is approximately 200 - 300°F. Most foods cooked in the Bradley are within barbecuing range; 200 - 250°F. Cooking at these temperatures, you do not need a cure, though I have to note that the USDA recommends that nothing be smoked/cooked under 225°F without being cured.

Hot smoking (100 - 180°F), and cold smoking (90°F or less), the meat needs to be cured if they are going to be in that range over a certain amount of time. Such as when you smoke/cook sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Behr

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. My biggest concern is food poising. I want to do things right & enjoy my new smoker. Thank you!

Behr

Wanted to share a pic of bird #1. Already looking forward to bird #2!

Habanero Smoker

You need to upload your pictures to a photo sharing site like Photobucket.

They have change the way you upload photos but the below link is still handy for beginners who are just starting to use those types of sites:

Posting Pictures

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Behr

Thanks, hope this works.

OU812

Perfect!!

You hit that one outta the park,,,,,,,,,,,,,nicely done

mikecorn.1

Dude! That bird looks freaking awesome!   

Mike

Silvergrizz

Ditto, what Mike said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Behr

Thanks for the positive feed back. I can't wait to try something else. This is going to be very addicting. :D