Dry Cured Spanish "Chorizo"

Started by SamuelG, August 21, 2011, 10:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

First try at it using the recipe in CHARCUTERIE with some changes.

10lbs of pork shoulder chop that I found @ $1.68/lbs Ground using large die
100g of Kosher Salt (1/2 cup)
12g Cure#2 (2 tsp)
20g of Dextrose ( 2 TBS )
32g of F-RM-52 ( this here seems to be a contradiction with several books I had and the amounts that should be used )
1/2 Cup Distilled water ( used filtered and Boiled for 10 Minutes )
32g of Spanish Paprika and Ancho Chile Powder ( 4 TBS of Each One )
10g of cayenne pepper ( 3 tsp )
36g of garlic powder  ( 4 TBS )

Combined dry ingredients first using the Kirby Mixer (just great), then added the F-RM-52 which had been added to the water and dissolved.  Mixed well again until a thick paste formed and placed into fridge while the KC was getting ready.

Stuffed using hog casings and one 76mm (2.99x24") protein lined clear casing.

Hung in the drying chamber

...and the waiting begins... ;)

SamuelG

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

What is "F-RM-52 "? and where does one buy some?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SamuelG

Thanks.10.5 you guys had an amazing SmokeOut!

GusRobin,

For medium to fast acidification. This culture causes the meat's pH to drop to under 5.0 in about 4 days. Great for medium sized salamis. Fast culture targeted for fermentation temperatures 70-90F

I got it at sausage maker.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

NePaSmoKer

Looks good

F-RM-52 should be 1/8 tsp per every 5 lbs of meat. Needs to be dissolved in water by itself for 30 mins prior to adding to meat. The PH your looking for should be 6.5 to 7

Ka Honu

Por favor envíeme uno grande. Inmediatamente o más pronto. Lo necesito para la paella.

OU812

Looks good allready Sam,,,,,cant wait till its done.

SamuelG

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 31, 2011, 07:29:48 PM
Looks good

F-RM-52 should be 1/8 tsp per every 5 lbs of meat. Needs to be dissolved in water by itself for 30 mins prior to adding to meat. The PH your looking for should be 6.5 to 7

Thanks NepaS. 

I did dissolve in water prior to the mix.  But is seems I used too much... I was following what the said.  I'll keep your measurements for next time.

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Quote from: Ka Honu on August 31, 2011, 07:53:24 PM
Por favor envíeme uno grande. Inmediatamente o más pronto. Lo necesito para la paella.

Ka Honu,

Lo siento pero no esta listo todavía.  Cuando lo este, te intento mandar un poco.

:)

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Thanks OU. 

Those Ham Stix you made I'm sure were insane.

SamuelG

SamuelG

Ka Honu

SamuelG

Quote from: Ka Honu on August 31, 2011, 08:23:13 PM
Estaré listo.

Estas en Hawaii? I think I'm in trouble!

SamuelG

SamuelG

Ka Honu

Sí soy en Hawaii. Esto no es un problema para mí. ¿Por qué debería esto ser un problema para usted?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SamuelG on August 31, 2011, 08:10:52 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 31, 2011, 07:29:48 PM
Looks good

Thanks NepaS. 

I did dissolve in water prior to the mix.  But is seems I used too much... I was following what the said.  I'll keep your measurements for next time.

SamuelG

Looks like you are off to a good start.

The amount of starter culture used can be much greater then the instructions from Sausage Maker. As Ruhlman points out on his blog, the starter culture is mostly filler to make it easier to measure, with very little bacteria. He uses a greater amount to insure that enough starter is added to ensure there is enough bacteria to get a good start. If there is not enough, other bacteria can dominate and take over. Or worse, not enough of any bacteria can be produce, and your pH level will remain too high.

Once open the self life of the starter is very short, so unless you make a lot of dry cured sausage, you may have to throw it out anyway. He goes on to say that as long as you use the correct amount of dextrose (glucose), the sausage will not get overly tangy. As soon as the food source for the bacteria runs out, they stop producing and no longer make any lactic acid. Also I like to get the pH 5.2 or lower.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: SamuelG on August 31, 2011, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: Ka Honu on August 31, 2011, 07:53:24 PM
Ka Honu,
Lo siento pero no esta listo todavía.  Cuando lo este, te intento mandar un poco.
SamuelG

"Just listening for my name"...taken from an episode of Bill Cosby Show. :)