Newbie question regarding 'over curing' if that's even possible?

Started by SwedishMike, November 16, 2011, 03:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwedishMike

Hi there,

I'm new to the entire smoker world so I'm currently a bit confused over some concepts etc. Thankfully I'm not too proud to ask, silly at times I'm sure, questions.  ;D

One of the projects on my list is the maple cured bacon recipe I found here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

What I'm wondering over is the curing time. Since I work full time I would normally only be able to do the actual smoking on weekends.

I would start the curing process on say Saturday week one and hope that the curing process would take the seven days it states as the upper limit in the recipe. That way I could smoke on Saturday week two.

However - what if it takes just 5 days - would it harm the process to cure it for another two days?

Sorry if this is a weird question and I hope I've made my question fairly clear.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers, Mike

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.  ;)

I'm in a similar situation working all week. I mainly make Canadian Bacon or as we Canadians call it Back Bacon. I usually get it started curing on a Friday night and let it go until the following Friday before rinsing and allowing it to dry in the fridge over night. I've even let them go 10 days in the cure before with no problems. When I pull them from the cure, I rinse them, then soak them in cold water for 30 minutes, change the water and soak for another 30 minutes. The reason for the double soak time is it removes some of the saltiness and for my taste buds this is the way I prefer it.

A few days here or there during curing will not hurt it. It may add a little saltiness to the finished product and is why you will probably want to rinse. Give it a shot and you will get it dialed into the taste your looking for.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SwedishMike

Mike,

Many thanks for the welcome and your thorough answer. It sounds like my plan will work then - start curing week one and then rinse it well before smoking it on week two.

Once again - thanks for your reply.

// Mike

ArnieM

+1 with Mike, Mike.  After the rinse'n'soak, slice off a thin piece and give it a quick fry to taste test.  It it's too salty, give it another soak or two.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SwedishMike

ArnieM

Mike,

My older daughter married a Brit.  His parents are in Keston, Kent, a bit SE of London.  They're coming over here for Thanksgiving.  Seems that you people don't have that holiday over there  ;D ;D  But, then, we don't have Boxing day  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Sailor

Warning....Warning....Warning.....Once you start makin Bacon there is not turning back.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SwedishMike

I think I've caught the bug already - I guess it will just get worse from here on? ;)

Another question regarding this recipe actually - the recipe states the following: "Rub cure mixture on belly making sure to cover the entire surface."

Would that be to cover just the 'meaty' bits or should it be applied to the skin as well?

Cheers, Mike

MidKnightRider

Quote from: SwedishMike on November 16, 2011, 01:05:57 PM
I think I've caught the bug already - I guess it will just get worse from here on? ;)

Another question regarding this recipe actually - the recipe states the following: "Rub cure mixture on belly making sure to cover the entire surface."

Would that be to cover just the 'meaty' bits or should it be applied to the skin as well?

Cheers, Mike

Mike, the skin as well, and do not forget to turn it over every day.
as for the time in cure I've let it cure for 14 days before with out any problem.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

SwedishMike

Thanks for clarifying that - that could have been bad/embarrassing.  :o

I'm sure it will be like torture even if it just takes 5 - 7 days to cure. I'm already eager to get it smoked and to get a taste of my first homemade bacon.

// Mike

MidKnightRider

Quote from: SwedishMike on November 16, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

I'm sure it will be like torture even if it just takes 5 - 7 days to cure. I'm already eager to get it smoked and to get a taste of my first homemade bacon.

// Mike
You will never like any other bacon one you make your own!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

SwedishMike

Quote from: MidKnightRider on November 16, 2011, 08:47:03 PM
Quote from: SwedishMike on November 16, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

// Mike
You will never like any other bacon one you make your own!

You shall have no other bacon before me?  ;)

// Mike

La Quinta

Habanero Smoker

Another alternative than over curing, is to remove the meat from the cure; if it is going to be less then 3 days before you get around to smoking/cooking it. Wrap it or place it in a sealable bag, and refrigerate. About 12 the 24 hours before you place it in the smoker, uncover it and let it air dry in the refrigerator.

Also it is always a good idea to let the meat rest at least 12 hours after removing the cure. The curing action is still going on. At that point, the concentration of salt and nitrites will be heavier towards the surface of the meat, than at the center. This extra time gives the cure time to distribute equally throughout the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SwedishMike

H S,

Many thanks for the further ideas. I must say that I'm mightily impressed by the knowledge and willingness to share said knowledge on this forum.

// Mike