burned out element

Started by ljmelea, December 25, 2007, 10:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmelea

???where do i go to get a new element for my smoker?power indicator is on at the puc passer but not on the smoker unit,no heat to element?larry

Mr Walleye

I don't have the OBS but I know that I have never heard of anybody burning an element out in the tower. Not to say it couldn't happen but I haven't heard of it. I have heard of people tightening the main heater, You have to be careful though, the mounts are ceramic and you don't want to over tighten them. The other thing I would do is to make sure you are getting power to the element. I have also read on a few threads that the temp slide can have a dead spot if moved all the way to the right, just try bumping it back as bit.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

ljmelea;
Welcome to the forum.

First try plugging your the heating element directly into a outlet. If the heating element now works, the problem is a burnt fuse on the generator, and you only need to replace that.

If that doesn't work, it may be a burnt out element, or it could be that your circuit board got fried. I have replaced both the element and the circuit board. I had to replace the bulb because the BS took a 3 foot drop; I guess it was not made to with stand that type of impact. :)

If you have a crack in the plastic above the temperature slider, you may have a burnt out circuit board. If you are fairly handy at fixing things, place the tower on it's back and remove plastic cover that contains and protects the circuit board. Take a look at the circuit, to see if there is any visible damage, and/or if there is gunk on it. Before you disconnect the wires, note down how to reconnect them; or better yet if you have a digital camera take a picture of the wiring. You can get replacement parts from this site:

http://www.yardandpool.com/home.php?cat=117

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gtown

Hello,
Have an element (heating problem) with my original smoker, only got it last year, may have used it 3 or 4 times.
Have been on line with bradley "help", asked me to check fuse, its good. Wires have continuence from rear plug in. Circuit board "looks" ok.
Element has "no" resistance upon checking with meter I am guessing it should have some?
Do you know?

classicrockgriller

Yes, you should. You may need to disconnect the wire to get a proper reading.

Have you tried plugging the tower straight to a plug and see if the element gets hot?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 02, 2010, 10:45:32 AM
Yes, you should. You may need to disconnect the wire to get a proper reading.

Have you tried plugging the tower straight to a plug and see if the element gets hot?

Sonny is right. The element should have resistance. If I remember right it should measure about 75 ohms.
HawkeyeSmokes

First State Smoker

I have an OBS. My element stopped working quite a while ago and I'm kicking myself that I just fixed it now because it turned out to be so easy. Was having the same problem as described above - no heat or light. After opening the unit to make sure all the connections were good I called Bradley for a replacement temp control board and element. Only $30 including shipping for both and now it works like a champ. (it turned out to be the temp control board, and not the element btw)

powrsmoker

I had the same problem, mine actually quit working during a smoke, good thing it was near the end and the food was already cooked.  It actually may have saved the food from getting too dry.   I think it was a faulty plate.  Luckily Bradley was sending me a new one in the mail due to the cracking issue, I installed it today and no connected it up, still no indicator light and the element was not getting hot.  I took off the front faceplate and see if everything is still connected under there and one of the plugs was loose, connected it and even fired it up before screwing everything back together.  It was all good after that.