Newbie needs help with decision

Started by pokermeister, March 06, 2012, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokermeister

I am going to purchase a Bradley Smoker, but need some info first. Should I purchase the digital, or the original 4 rack Black smoker? What are Bubba pucks? Do I need a PID? Will the digital smoker shut off when desired internal meat temperature is met? What flavor pucks should I start with (only 3)? I am a fairly experienced cook with about 15 meat rubs in my cabinet right now, and I grill a couple of days per week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before my purchase.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

mikecorn.1

Black original with PID. No the digital will not shut down by itself when IT reached. It will with a PID hooked up to it along with the original black smoker.
Bubba pucks push the last bisquette off and save any remaining pucks on burner from partial burn. Therefore saving pucks.
Wood-  buy different ones and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

buy the 4 rack
buy the pid from auber inst
buy a maverick et 732 thermometer
buy bubba puck savers ( puck pushing  disks )
be prepared for  longer cooking  times, lower temps means slower cooking  times means more tender.

keep to your favorite rubs and try different briquettes of wood to find your favorite

as for internal temps it depends on what you  are cooking and what you  want to  use it  for

pulled pork, pulled beef, brisket are at 195 to 210, other  cuts of meat  like tri tip, beef roasts between 135 and 155 depending on taste, pork tender loin  160 165 ,,, etc

ccardinal

I've used the 4 rack Black for years now.  I got it in 2003 I think.   That will satisfy most if not all of your needs.  I always left my smoker on the porch, so after nearly 10 years I't finally started acting poorly, and I just ordered a replacement.  I've never had any problems with the unit till this winter, and it just would not do it's thing any more.  I cannot complain, as I've used it about once a week, sometimes more, for this long.  I really don't like the idea of the digital model,  I've never had a need for it.  I have a nice probe thermometer, and check in on the cooking every so often. 

You probably already know that smoking is NOT grilling.  Smoking is low and slow!  Don't expect high temps and fast cooking.  Part of the fun of it is enjoying the wonderful smoke smell for hours.  Be prepared to wait, but you are waiting for the most tender juice pulled pork you ever flapped a lip over!  Chicken or turkey that makes you wobble, and if you like oysters  ...   The best smoked oyster you ever ate!  Buffalo chicken wings in the smoker take about 3 hours, but man!  I cannot go back to frying them!  Ha!  It's sooo good,  but it is not fast. 

My son and I eat a Ton of jerky.  I usually smoke it in the Bradley for about 2 to 4 hours, and then finish it in my dehydrator.  It seemed like it took way to long to do the whole process in the Bradley, but your milage may differ.

I never did do the bubba puck thing.  It really is a good idea, but I use mine so often, I really had no need for them.

Keep your rubs, and all your fav recipes.  It all works, but don't expect to crank things up to 300 in the bradley for a fast finish.  Just enjoy an afternoon of BBQ.

hope this helps.

C

dman4505

Quote from: ccardinal on March 08, 2012, 11:43:40 PM
I've used the 4 rack Black for years now.  I got it in 2003 I think.   That will satisfy most if not all of your needs.  I always left my smoker on the porch, so after nearly 10 years I't finally started acting poorly, and I just ordered a replacement.  I've never had any problems with the unit till this winter, and it just would not do it's thing any more.  I cannot complain, as I've used it about once a week, sometimes more, for this long.  I really don't like the idea of the digital model,  I've never had a need for it.  I have a nice probe thermometer, and check in on the cooking every so often. 

You probably already know that smoking is NOT grilling.  Smoking is low and slow!  Don't expect high temps and fast cooking.  Part of the fun of it is enjoying the wonderful smoke smell for hours.  Be prepared to wait, but you are waiting for the most tender juice pulled pork you ever flapped a lip over!  Chicken or turkey that makes you wobble, and if you like oysters  ...   The best smoked oyster you ever ate!  Buffalo chicken wings in the smoker take about 3 hours, but man!  I cannot go back to frying them!  Ha!  It's sooo good,  but it is not fast. 

My son and I eat a Ton of jerky.  I usually smoke it in the Bradley for about 2 to 4 hours, and then finish it in my dehydrator.  It seemed like it took way to long to do the whole process in the Bradley, but your milage may differ.

I never did do the bubba puck thing.  It really is a good idea, but I use mine so often, I really had no need for them.

Keep your rubs, and all your fav recipes.  It all works, but don't expect to crank things up to 300 in the bradley for a fast finish.  Just enjoy an afternoon of BBQ.

hope this helps.

C

Yep pop a cold one, sit back and relax with a nice cigar if your so inclined to and enjoy
When the wife or SO asks what you're doing tell 'em "I'm cooking dinner"

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.