4 rack digital and hanging summer sausage

Started by theLDP, November 15, 2012, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theLDP

I have upgraded to the 8 rack mod.  So the top rack is a little higher.  I want to hang some SS and it looks like a 12 inch chub is the max.  I have an auber but wondering if the bottom of the sausage will cook too fast compared to the top... 12 inches will be at the bottom of the smoker.  Anyone have input?  Thanks

JZ

Yes the bottom will cook faster than the top but that won't be a problem as long as the cabinet temps don't get too high. Recommended max temp is 180 but I usually just go to 160. You can also use a hot water bath after the smoke session is done.

If your chubs are only 12" long you could just place the SS on the racks. Either way you should rotate the sausage to try and get even exposure to each one.

theLDP

I wasn't planning on higher than 170.  Starting at 130.  But didn't know if I would ruin the bottom third.

theLDP

JZ

The first time I did SS in my 4 rack I had chubs that were 18" long and I had to scramble to make something to hang them up higher in the cabinet and still had to leave the V-tray out (very bad idea - don't do it). I watched them closely and noted that the bottom was starting to fat out so I took them out of the smoker and put them in a hot water bath, which I believe saved them. I think you will be fine with 12" chubs. Just keep an eye on them and if you are hanging them get them up as high in the cab as you can.

Dry them at room temp for a couple of hrs before they go into the smoker or dry them in the smoker at around 110 or 120 before you start to roll smoke and then raise the temps slowly.

I now do most of my sausage in a water bath after the smoke session. It is also way faster than completing them in the smoker.

NePaSmoKer

Install a fan and you will eliminate any rotation.

theLDP

When you say rotate do you mean front to back if I use two hangers?

JZ

Yes and if you use the racks then rotate top to bottom and front to back. Most of the heat in the Bradley is at the back and bottom of the smoker (where the heat element is) so you rotate to avoid keeping anything in that area for too long.