I guess 4 out of 5 isn't too bad

Started by GusRobin, December 04, 2012, 06:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

So this past weekend I did my Christmas cooking:cheese, pistachios, pepperoni, slim jims, and GB jerky.

Cheese bagged and tagged

The pistachios came out very well and I have a large canister full of nuts.

The pepperoni also came out great and I have bagged and tagged them and put them in the freezer

The Slim Jims taste very good and they are cut up, bagged, and in the freezer.

Next was the jerky. Finally got a chance to use the jerky gun I bought. It worked great once I got the hang of it.

The other times I made jerky I did it with sliced meat. This was the first time I tried GB.
While the gun worked good the jerky was a disaster.  Not sure if I screwed up or what. Well, actually I screwed up something because it was terrible.
I started out with a recipe that was on the seasoning package. It was for 5 lbs and I halved it to 2 1/2. had to do this since I didn't have enough room in the smoker because I was doing the slim jims at the same time. But I messed up and forgot to halve the water. So I could either throw it out or double the rest of the ingredients. So I doubled. The problem is I did not have room in the smoker. The next day I had to work so I didn't want to stay up to the middle of the night nor did I have time the next day to do it. So I decided to put 2 racks in the smoker and the rest on racks in the oven. Don't know if I ended up keeping them in too long but both batches came out terrible. They were either dry to the point of snapping and crumbling or just tasted like dried out hamburger (not a jerky type dried, just dried out)

So I had not choice but to throw them out they were so bad. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

(By the way, the lack of space convinced me to snap up a 6 rack cabinet (no SG)that was a dented return). So when I get it I will hook up the OBS SG to the cold smoke box I made and into the 6 rack cabinet, all controlled by the dual PID.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

We all have them moments Gus. Somebody else might try it and say it is OK, but we know we can do better. So instead of smiling and saying it aint bad we just chuck it. Been there my friend
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 04, 2012, 08:01:08 PM
We all have them moments Gus. Somebody else might try it and say it is OK, but we know we can do better. So instead of smiling and saying it aint bad we just chuck it. Been there my friend
Trust me, no one would have said it was ok. ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Oh dog bisquits? Mine love my mistakes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Consooger

Gus,

What was your jerky like? From the pictures of it it looks like the way I made my first batch, haven't made it since!
John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

muebe

Gus as Homer Simpson once said...

"Everyone makes mistakes. That is why they put erasers on pencils"
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Nice bunch of goodies you got there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike