Berkshire Pork

Started by Alanfromwis, December 11, 2012, 01:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alanfromwis

I ran across a program on PBS called America's Test Kitchen where they did some taste testing of pork, several supermarket samples and a berkshire sample along with another breed that I forgot the name of. The berkshire was a darker red color and somewhat less lean, & is only available in most areas by mailorder. They quoted a price of $11 per pound plus shipping. The test panel liked the birkshire pork best as it tasted much better according to them , with the unknown one next. I was not aware of the different breeds. Is it worth the looking into?
Alan
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Habanero Smoker

We have a member that lives in Connecticut, and his butcher supplied him with Berkshire pork, which is a heritage breed. Right now his screen name is not coming to me. Do a search, and you should find some of the bacon recipes he posted, and he also posted pictures on chops. He loves this breed of pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Alanfromwis

After further review, the other hog breed was duroc. The cut they tested was chops. It sounds a little expensive, but may be a good treat for special occasions.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Both Berskhire and Duroc is very very good pork.

Tiny Tim

Don't know if I'd trust "America's Test Kitchen" for their recommendations, as they rated Hunt's Organic Cat's Up as being better than the original Heinz Ketchup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on December 12, 2012, 02:51:49 PM
Don't know if I'd trust "America's Test Kitchen" for their recommendations, as they rated Hunt's Organic Cat's Up as being better than the original Heinz Ketchup.

Some times they do make some big mistakes. There is nothing better than Heinz Ketchup :)

Alan;

There is another breed that gets rave reviews. I have to take another look at the show that I saw it on, to come up with the name. The farm is located somewheres in NJ, and I believe they have a website..

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Alanfromwis

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I learned a lot about pork with the responses. Hope others did too. Won't look at supermarket pork the same again, also saved several websites for furthur reference.

viper125

The Duroc is a very good pork, My uncle raises them in Kentucky. Also very expensive. A large red hog that puts weight on quick. Good eating and most commercial farms breed it in to their hogs a lot.  Not as much fat as most hogs.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

GusRobin

I have a local guy that raises a breed that is a mix of Duroc and Berkshire. That's where I get mine.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I forgot I had erased the show, but recalled enough about the show that I found it on the Cooking Channel. The breed of the hog is called Mangalitsa pigs, and according to some reports it is often referred to as the "Kobe Beef of Pork". The origins of the breed can be traced back to Austria. They seem much smaller then most breeds. On the show, Claire Robinson went to their farm. They selected a shoulder, sliced it like steaks, grilled it over high heat, and served. That shoulder cut like butter.

They are only 110 miles away from me. Hopefully late spring, I may place an order, also may call them to see if I can pickup my order and tour their farm.

Mosefund Pig Farm

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Piker

here in Canada I do not think we have much of a variety of pigs to choose from but I have learned to buy it as fresh as you can. So in other words get to know your butcher. Especially now with all the bad stories about mistreatment of hogs at the farms. I sure there will be a govt. investigation. Thks Piker

KyNola

Berkshire pork is also known as Kurobuta pork and can be purchased here: http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/products/kurobuta%20pork.aspx

I have ordered their pork several times.  It is incredible.

Habs, I was wondering if you were referring to the Mangalitsa but you recalled it before I could post.

viper125

Well hardly ever feel a class distinction here . a class But paying over 4.oo a lb. you  are definitely in a class way above me. I would feel like i WAS BEING ROBBEDE AT THAT PRICE! ::) Get mine when available for 2.25 or less. But cant afford more reallly. LOL!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

GusRobin

Quote from: viper125 on December 13, 2012, 09:58:34 AM
Well hardly ever feel a class distinction here . a class But paying over 4.oo a lb. you  are definitely in a class way above me. I would feel like i WAS BEING ROBBEDE AT THAT PRICE! ::) Get mine when available for 2.25 or less. But cant afford more reallly. LOL!
Write Obama, maybe he'll give you a subsidy in the next Stimulus package.  (Sorry couldn't resist)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.