Charcuterie... good book now available in UK

Started by manxman, September 13, 2006, 11:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: asa on September 13, 2006, 03:06:38 PM
Thanks! Exactyly what I'm interested in now. In the meantime, has anyone tried the salami recipe at the Morton site? Think I'll try that this weekend, along with my pork loin that's been curing for 3 weeks in the tenderquick plus brown sugar and maple syrup.

Asa,

First you got me thinking about the pepperoni, by asking about the salami recipe. So I'm making that tomorrow. I got a good deal on ground meat, so I will be making the salami also. I'm going to make it into one loaf instead of dividing it up into two loafs. Maybe we can compare notes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Well! After a four week back order wait I finally received my book yesterday. I haven't thoroughly read the book, but had a chance to look at the sausage section, and that section is well written. That section is very detailed, and it lists all the equipment and materials you will need. The authors mentioned that they often use the meat grinder attachment of their Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but do not recommend it for stuffing the casings.

So far it has exceeded my expectations. I'm not sure how much a person with a lot of experience in curing would get from this book, besides the recipes, but I believe this book was written for anyone who would like to explore this area. Although a beginner would be comfortable with this book, a more advance person will find a lot of new material to learn from.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)