Potato Sausage

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 18, 2009, 06:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This is big, Makes 12 lbs. If your good at cutting recipes you could make 6 lbs from this. This is not smoked it's fresh sausage and has no cure.

7 lbs lean beef
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 lbs pork fat
5 T salt
1 t allspice
1 t powdered ginger
1 t nutmeg
1 T white pepper
1 T black pepper, table grind
2 Cups of green onions with tops, chopped
12 cups partially cook potato's, peeled and chopped small
2 Cups non-fat-dry milk
1 Cup chilled distilled water
32 to 36m hog casings (opt) soaked and rinsed.

1. Grind meats through med plate 1 time.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients with the water and whisk well. This will incorporate into the meat better. Do Not add the onions and potato's with the water.
3. In a large meat tub or bowl add the meat, Pour in the water/spice mix. Mix by hand slow until tacky. Add the onions and potato's into mix. Knead slowly as to not mash the potato's.
4. Make a small patty and fry in a pan to see if meets your taste.
5. If using a stuffer you want to use the large tube. Stuff into 6" links or make into patties.

Can be refrigerated for  2/3 days or double wrapped and frozen for up to 6 months.

nepas

La Quinta

NePas....what's the poop with the distilled H20? And what kind of potatos? Does it matter?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on February 18, 2009, 07:23:31 PM
NePas....what's the poop with the distilled H20? And what kind of potatos? Does it matter?

Hey LQ

As you know city water is loaded with chemicals. They can make your sausage taste funny and if your using cure its even worse. By adding chilled distilled water your eliminating all the chems. I have a fresh water spring fed well that has been checked and I still use distilled.

As far as the taters go you can use any type you like  ;D

nepas

Smokin Soon

Lq, if you like those layered breakfast thingies that you do in the oven, can't remeber the proper name, but I love to experiment with one dish wonders. Potatoe sausage is a welcome addition! I have tried a few from the Kuta's book, and will put this on my list.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on February 18, 2009, 07:23:31 PM

Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skinned?

nepas

fuzzy3955

fuzzy3955

Has any one ever used venison in this recipe

Thanks Fuzzy

bullhead

Welcome fuzzy
yes I have made potato sausage with venison. I mix 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork.I like it better with venison then beef. Plus the wife will eat venison this way.

seemore

Sounds good, Nepas.  I have always been curious about potato sausage but have never tried it, let alone made it.
May have to make it/try it!
seemore

smokeitall

I love potato sausage.  My in-laws bring me a package every time they come down from WI.  I asked for it once down here in STL and they looked at me kinda funny.  I haven't tried to make it yet, looks like I am going to have to try it out.  Thanks for the recipe.