Cut of Beef for Jerky?

Started by Jimbo, December 06, 2005, 08:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Got a BS on the way and want to use it to make jerky.  What cut of beef does everyone recommend for making jerky?  

Thanks.

Gordon

I figure the tough stringy meat is the best.  I am using deer, and I will use the front shoulders for the jerky.  Usually, the front shoulders go for sausage or for burger.  (bacon burger....mmmmmmmmmm)

Gordo

nsxbill

I have used top round for jerkey, but think I am going to try some skirt steak next time.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

iceman

There goes Gordo making everyone hungry again. I've got some bacon ends I need to use up. Thanks for the idea. Anyhow I used a cut they labled london broil for jerky last time and it worked out nice.[^]

jaeger

I agree with nxsbill. Top round works best IMHO but bottom round is a close second and usually available on sale more often!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

liquid25

I only use top round. I've tried the rest and my taste testers and I prefer top round.

curbstop180

hello
so far ive used bottom round its the best where im from. least amount of triming/wasting and am very pleased with the results

owrstrich

i started out using bottom round... then top round... then either top or bottom depending on price...

now all i use is the eye of the round... its awesome... and easy to slice into like-size pieces...

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2749

you gotta eat the beast...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gordon

hmmmm....my meat always says "dumb and eternal."   Wonder why?

Gordo
Unskyled layber