Canadian Bacon

Started by rcger, August 11, 2008, 01:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

As a former teacher, I know there's no such thing as a stupid question, but this one might change your opinion.  I've seen the recipes for Canadian Bacon and they look delicious.  Besides being used on pizza, exactly how is Canadian Bacon used?  After smoking, does it need to be cooked before consumption?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

FLBentRider

Once you taste it, You will start to invent ways to enjoy it.

You can eat it cold out-of-hand or on crackers, fry and enjoy with eggs, put in sandwiches, etc.

Think of it as really good  "ham jr".

I'm sure there are a huge number of other applications I'm missing...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 11, 2008, 01:47:42 PM
Once you taste it, You will start to invent ways to enjoy it.

You can eat it cold out-of-hand or on crackers, fry and enjoy with eggs, put in sandwiches, etc.

Think of it as really good  "ham jr".

I'm sure there are a huge number of other applications I'm missing...

Thanks!  That's probably the quickest response I've ever gotten.  You need to bring that recumbent out to Missouri and ride the KATY trail.  It goes from St Louis to just south of Kansas City!!!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Mr Walleye

Rcger

One of my favorites for breakfast is to fry it, put a couple slices on a bun with a slice of tomato, salt & pepper to taste and maybe a shot of ketchup. Mmmmm one of my favorites... of course this is comming from a Canadian!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Quote from: rcger on August 11, 2008, 01:49:49 PM
Thanks!  That's probably the quickest response I've ever gotten.  You need to bring that recumbent out to Missouri and ride the KATY trail.  It goes from St Louis to just south of Kansas City!!!

Sounds like fun. If I had the time, I'm sure I will someday. I'll bring the tandem and the Mrs. Sounds like there might be some good food along the way....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

Great Trail with places to stop along the way.  Very scenic for the most part.  Where is rcger from?  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

rcger

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on August 11, 2008, 06:06:06 PM
Great Trail with places to stop along the way.  Very scenic for the most part.  Where is rcger from?  ???

I'm a little south of St Louis.  A small town called Festus.

La Quinta

Hey rcger...ever had Eggs's Benedict? Clasically made...the "ham" is Canadian bacon.

westexasmoker

Man LQ got me thinking...yep that would be one nice omellte (sp)...but we've done the CB with pineapple pizza and OMG...good stuff!  I don't think there is anyway to mess up the CB hot, cold...really anything!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

rcger

Quote from: westexasmoker on August 11, 2008, 06:43:12 PM
Man LQ got me thinking...yep that would be one nice omellte (sp)...but we've done the CB with pineapple pizza and OMG...good stuff!  I don't think there is anyway to mess up the CB hot, cold...really anything!

C

I'm ready to put some in the smoker this weekend.

Gizmo

rcger,
Here is my recipe for a great breakfast sandwich.

1 english muffin
1 egg
1 tbl Miracle Whip salad dressing
2 or 3 pepperoncinis and or 1 jalapeno
couple dashes of hot sauce
2 slices of Canadian bacon (smoked/home made of course)
1 slice of pepper jack cheese (or your favorite sandwich cheese)

Chop pepperoncinis (and jalepeno if you like the heat) and mix with the Miracle Whip salad dressing.  Stir in a couple dashes of your favorite hot sauce (Inferno is awesome if you are a pepper head).  Heat the 2slices of canadian bacon while cooking your egg.  I like my egg over medium so there is just a little yolk running but not the whole yolk.  Toast the English muffin and then spread the salad dressing pepper mixture on both sides.  Add the egg, cheese, Canadian bacon and chow down.

You can also add some home made smoked bacon that has been fried or baked to a nice crisp texture.  The pepperoncinis add a nice bright note without the heat making this sandwich very unique.  The salad dressing is also a big flavor enhancer so if you use mayonnaise, you will change the flavor.  Some may prefer the lack of flavor that the mayonnais has in comparison to the salad dressing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I have made about 5 batches of Habs Canadian so far and it's really tasty any old way. I found I really like the taste lightly fried, the browning seems to bring out more flavor. If you have a vac sealer, you can brown up a whole bunch and vac seal whatever portions you like and just nuke or drop bag in boiling water for a minute. Since I did my first batch, I always have some in the freezer.

La Quinta

Gotta say...I can personally vouch for Gizmo's recipe for breakfast sammies...delicious!!! Perked me right up after CoronaRita night!!!  ;D