Electric shock?

Started by dAWGS, November 11, 2013, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

Ok I haven't taken real good care of my smoker.   It's been outside in the weather but it still works fine.    But today I got a little surprise.   When I put a chicken in it seemed fine.   I put the smoke generator on.    10 minutes later I go down to check it out.  I see that the chicken is dripping on the pucks so I go to shift the chicken and my chicken is electrified. All seems to be working well...except for the electrified chicken.   

What do I do?    How do I figue out the problem?

Alanfromwis

Sounds like you forgot to put the lower shield in place, the one above the puck burner & below the lower rack.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

dAWGS

That would cause a shock?        I don't even know what shield you mean

dAWGS

I just went and touched the chicken and no more shock......

I don't get it

devo

Seems pretty strange indeed. After you finish your cook I would take the smoke generator apart, clean it out and look for a broken-loose wire. Check your extension cord for wear. Make sure where the cords plug into the back are not cracked and weathered.

Alanfromwis

Not sure about the electric shock, but if chicken is dripping on pucks it may be dripping on the puck heating element. That could cause a grease fire.
The shield  is called drip tray item B in internal components list on Original Bradley & item A on Bradley Digital. Even if your chicken is touching  the main element should not cause a shock unless it is touching one of the wires on either end.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

beefmann

Quote from: dAWGS on November 11, 2013, 09:30:59 AM
Ok I haven't taken real good care of my smoker.   It's been outside in the weather but it still works fine.    But today I got a little surprise.   When I put a chicken in it seemed fine.   I put the smoke generator on.    10 minutes later I go down to check it out.  I see that the chicken is dripping on the pucks so I go to shift the chicken and my chicken is electrified. All seems to be working well...except for the electrified chicken.   

What do I do?    How do I figue out the problem?

sounds like your  missing the v tray that  belongs above the puck burner

Habanero Smoker

For a quick reference to the component diagram click on the below link. The component lists are the 3rd, 4th and 5th threads listed. As for the electrical shock, it may have just been static electricity. This time of year when the air is dry and cool, I get plenty of them, both indoors and outdoors.

Bradley User Information

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dAWGS

Just looked.   Thanks.   Gotta order a drip tray

KyNola

Until you get a new drip tray, place a pan on the bottom rack with some water in it to catch any drippings.  Also try to position your meat away from the back wall as far away as possible and to the right so that your meat is dripping on neither the heating element nor the puck burner, just into the pan.  Make certain your meat is not touching any of the interior walls as well.  You are risking a grease fire otherwise, particularly with the absence of the drip tray.

GusRobin

I think I would avoid cooking until I got the new drip tray.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: dAWGS on November 11, 2013, 01:35:23 PM

Where did the one go that came with the Bradley?

dman4505

Quote from: TedEbear on November 11, 2013, 09:39:48 PM
Quote from: dAWGS on November 11, 2013, 01:35:23 PM

Where did the one go that came with the Bradley?

My thoughts as well
Where did the original one go?????

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.