HELP! work lunch @12pm . 6lb BUTT . needs to be ready by 6am! Bonus..my 1st butt

Started by AUgrunt, July 01, 2010, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUgrunt

I have a 6lb butt that is for a lunch tomorrow at work! I have a Bradley digital 4-rack. How can I have it ready by 6am ?? I have rub , injectors..etc. I need cooking tips. Should I smoke for 5-6 hrs. and put in kitchen oven? Its also my 1st attempt at a butt in it. Talk about pressure!?!
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. 
- General George Patton Jr

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum AUgrunt!

I would start NOW.

I would apply 4-6 hours of smoke @225F and continue to cook at 225F until and IT of 190F, or 6AM whichever comes first. If you are more comfortable putting it in the oven after the smoke is done, go for it.

Then wrap in two layers of Heavy duty foil, wrap in a old bath towel, and into a cooler (no ice)

That should keep it nice and warm on your way to work. pull it out about 1130, pull and serve.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

AUgrunt

I plan to be at my house at 430pm and its 1st thing I'm starting! I'm against this turbo-test method!! But It'll be a learning experience right??? Damn I.T guy is bring chips. what a wus!!

AUgrunt

BTW- I love this forum!!!
If I go in the oven after 4 hrs of smoke, should I wrap in foil or put in a pan and make a foil tent for it?  w/ apple juice  in pan?

FLBentRider

Quote from: AUgrunt on July 01, 2010, 12:55:20 PM
BTW- I love this forum!!!
If I go in the oven after 4 hrs of smoke, should I wrap in foil or put in a pan and make a foil tent for it?  w/ apple juice  in pan?

When I do them in the oven I put them in a roasting pan.

You can foil if you like.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

If you put it in the oven turn the heat up to 240 to 250 and you should be ready to go by 6.

Welcome to the Forum.

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

KyNola

If I finish a butt in the oven, I place mine on a rack in a dry roasting pan.  I personally do not foil the butt.  Seems like it's about 50/50 foil vs not foil around here.  My personal opinion is not foiling gives you more bark.

You should do it how you like.

FLBR and CRG have given you good advice already.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

AUgrunt

Thanks fellas! I got her smokin at 220 right now. In 5hrs, bedtime/oven time. I'll will share my results tomorrow. Thanks for the tips! if you got more ,send em!

DTAggie

Uncle Pigfat

I have a history with being one of 3 heavy lifters for every potluck at work.  It gets stale quickly.  I've found stressing out over bringing your a-game is a waste for coworkers because they appreciate nothing.  If it doesn't turn out perfect, you'll be fine.  If they complain, ask them how long it took them to make the chips, plates, cups or store bought cookies.  Their shame = your win.  I'm sure it'll turn out fine.  The last time I took in pulled pork (before I had a smoker) I oven roasted it for 9 hours over night and let it sit pulled and sauced in a crock pot all morning .  It was still darn tasty, even without the smoke.

Caneyscud

With you UP!  I tend to use the lunches to school my co-workers in what good bbq tastes like. Or cook something they have not had smoked.  This is the land of bad pulled pork - so it is not hard smoke them something different.  And not at all hard to cook something better than they have ever had before.  Couple of years ago, when I got my "secret" Traeger, the first smoke was ribs.  We have a small office - at the time 7 people (now 5) - bossman's wife is one of them tea party, watercress sandwich low-fat groupies - he had not had a rib in years and loved them.  One coworker hadn't had BBQ ribs in a while and enjoyed it.  One coworker had never had ribs - picky eater - cured him - he ate a rack.  One of the girls didn't eat much meat - cured that - she had a 1/2 rack.  The other guy had only had his family's boiled ribs or the fern bar's oven roasted and drowned "ribs".  He liked them so much he went out and bought a BGE.  But even with all that - no appreciation.  Not even an offer to pay.  Bossman usually pays for the meal afterwards, knowing that nobody else offers and he thinks the lunches are good for morale.  I'd do cooks a heck of a lot more often, if they even showed an ounce of appreciation.  That's why I do a few a year for my fly fishing and Bible study buddies.  They appreciate it.  

It still amazes me that here in the Upper South, in an area that is not secretive about barbecue - sorta proud that barbecue is part of life around here, how much not very good barbecue is put out and consumed around here.  Worse yet, is bragged about!  I'm not talking bad in that they used a rub I wouldn't have, or used foil, or some such - but bbq that doesn't taste like bbq - no smoke, no rub, etc....Finally went to a new bbq joint near the house (2 blocks),  Smelled ok, but no hint of a smoker - nor a pile of hickory out back - so suspect.  Notice they had brisket - was surprised.  Got the plate - no smoke ring - gray/brown throughout, not even cut cross grain.  Hmmm.  But didn't taste all that bad.  So asked the people at the counter what kind of rig did it get smoked on.  One replied - "a smoker".   Then asked what kind - "just a smoker".  Then asked what brand - "don't know".  I just walked away!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

AUgrunt

Judgment time has came and gone. I NAILED IT!!!  ;D Bossman and everyone complimented it better than a few of the BBQ joints in Huntsville, AL. I was proud of it , but could've done better IMHO. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to more involvement with this forum. Have a Happy 4th everyone! Keep our soldiers in your thoughts and prayers this weekend!

FLBentRider

Quote from: AUgrunt on July 02, 2010, 10:49:01 AM
Judgment time has came and gone. I NAILED IT!!!  ;D Bossman and everyone complimented it better than a few of the BBQ joints in Huntsville, AL. I was proud of it , but could've done better IMHO. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to more involvement with this forum. Have a Happy 4th everyone! Keep our soldiers in your thoughts and prayers this weekend!

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!