Pickled Kielbasa Sausage

Started by Father Tom, March 25, 2009, 11:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Tom

Years ago i had a picked sausage.  Has anyone got a recipe?

Tom

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

I tried Walleye's recipe with come Kielbasa and it was fantastic. Californians don't know what pickled eggs or sausages are, so it was really fun to show them what they had been missing!

NePaSmoKer

yeah them californians are weird  :D

nepas

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 25, 2009, 01:07:15 PM
Hi Tom

Here is the one I just tried and it turned out pretty darn good!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8890.msg102638#msg102638

Mike

I guess I don't have to respond to this one again seems I already did!!!! Before it was posted even.  ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Thanks again for posting that. It really is good. You should try doing some with the jalapeños. The sausage itself just gains a very subtle heat, not hot at all. The jalapeños themselves still retain a little heat though. Yum! I just sliced the fresh jalapeños, seeds and all.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

There is a good recipe in the book "Great Sausage and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas"  If you don't have the book and you are interested let me know and I will send you the recipe.

Roadking

Quote from: smokeitall on March 25, 2009, 07:08:59 PM
There is a good recipe in the book "Great Sausage and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas"  If you don't have the book and you are interested let me know and I will send you the recipe.
If your talking about a pickling recipe help me out, what chapter and page? Or my book is too old. If it's the Kielbasa recipe your right it's one of the best that I've used.

Father Tom

Thanks Walleye for the lead.  Will be doing some next weekk.  One Gallon Jug to start.
Also thanks to all who fill in the blanks.

Tom

smokeitall

Quote from: Roadking on March 26, 2009, 02:24:13 PM
If your talking about a pickling recipe help me out, what chapter and page? Or my book is too old. If it's the Kielbasa recipe your right it's one of the best that I've used.

Oops... I was thinking of the Pickled Polish Sausage Recipe on page 274, sorry about that.

Please let us know how it turns out, I will have to make a batch.

JDNC

When I was a boy my mother every once in a while would bring home pickled sausages from the store. I think the brand was Pen-Rose or something.  Man... I love these and also the pickled eggs.  As we were pretty poor (and these sausages were pretty pricey) she would cut up hotdogs and stick holes in them with a fork and place in the jar with the pickle/water remaining from the sausages trying to save money(bless her heart).  Of course it didn't work very well.

I've been thinking..and with the vacuum thingy for using a mason jar as a container (or the plastic foodsaver container for this purpose) why not vacuum the sausage in a container to speed up the pickling process.  I tried one of the recipes and did this and after a couple of days the sausage was pretty good.  Just a thought.  Man I wish I could duplicate this store bought recipe!

JD

Tenpoint5

Roadking, if you follow the link Mr Walleye posted that is a good pickle recipe. Here is the link to the Kielbasa recipe that I use when I'm making picjled sausage.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Polish-American.pdf
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

Quote from: smokeitall on March 26, 2009, 06:59:29 PM
Quote from: Roadking on March 26, 2009, 02:24:13 PM

Oops... I was thinking of the Pickled Polish Sausage Recipe on page 274, sorry about that.

Please let us know how it turns out, I will have to make a batch.
For the life of me I couldn't find it. Da, I'm getting old. Your book must be newer I finally found it on page 267. Thanks anyway.

smokeitall

Quote from: JDNC on March 27, 2009, 03:21:34 AM
When I was a boy my mother every once in a while would bring home pickled sausages from the store. I think the brand was Pen-Rose or something.  Man... I love these and also the pickled eggs.  As we were pretty poor (and these sausages were pretty pricey) she would cut up hotdogs and stick holes in them with a fork and place in the jar with the pickle/water remaining from the sausages trying to save money(bless her heart).  Of course it didn't work very well.

I've been thinking..and with the vacuum thingy for using a mason jar as a container (or the plastic foodsaver container for this purpose) why not vacuum the sausage in a container to speed up the pickling process.  I tried one of the recipes and did this and after a couple of days the sausage was pretty good.  Just a thought.  Man I wish I could duplicate this store bought recipe!

JD

The Pen-Rose pickeled sausages are still sold.  They have small jars and very large jars.  The price isn't bad either.  I have seen them in many stores but most commonly at Wal-Mart by the jerky.  Hope you find some, I agree they are pretty good.

seemore

Never had pickled kielbasa before, but I'm definitely intrigued....