Coal Miner's Spaghetti

Started by SnellySmokesEm, September 10, 2010, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

A while back I was craving this stuff my dad used to make when I was younger called coal miner's spaghetti.   It had been years since I had this stuff and I really couldnt even remember what it was.  I do remember I didnt like it when I was a kid because I thought it was "poor food" because we didnt have a lot of money back then and he called it "spaghetti" yet it had no red sauce and no ground beef in it.  So one day I asked him for the recipe and he told me it was basically pasta carbonara.... lol  I love that stuff.  I said "why didnt you call it that when we were kids and I probably would have liked it..."  Anyway this is my wife's FAVORITE meal and since today WVU played Marshall in the "Friends of Coal Bowl" I decided to make is and share with the forum"
1lb spaghetti
1/2lb bacon
4 eggs
parsley
ground black pepper
salt
fresh garlic
1C freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Egg, cheese, salt and pepper mixture

1/2 lb thick cut bacon

hmmmmmm fresh garlic, can never have too much of this stuff

Coal Miner's Spaghetti aka Pasta Carbonara

Money $$$ Shot
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

That has got to be KILLER good.

Bacon, cheese, spaghetti and egg.

That has got to be good.

Thanks for the post. Is booked marked!

SnellySmokesEm

One key thing I forgot to put in the post is that after you add the pasta to the bacon/garlic/grease mixture, you must remove it from the heat source.  You dont want to scramble/cook the eggs.  So I usually mix the egg/cheese/salt/pepper/parsley an hour or two before so it comes to room temperature before you combine with the bacon/pasta/garlic/grease mixture.
BBQ Evangelist

Smokin Soon

Im thinking this is going to my winter lunchbox mix, Might even try it with some Hab's Canadian Bacon. Thank's for the post.

classicrockgriller

I'm thinkin' kinda skillet warm on some toasted bread.

yummers'

DTAggie

Wifey makes this.  Yep I'm poor and love it.

TestRocket

That does look good I'll bookmark it also.

I was really pulling for Marshall...that was a good game!

Tenpoint5

I'm thinking I need to make this! it looks really good. Although it does look a wee bit light on the garlic might need to add some more!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

GusRobin

Now I know one of the things that I am having for dinner this week
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

GusRobin

Can you give an estimate of the amount of parsley,ground black pepper, salt, fresh garlic?
thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteCan you give an estimate of the amount of parsley,ground black pepper, salt, fresh garlic?
thanks

Here's a link for the recipe I have been using for a few years:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-spaghetti-carbonara-recipe/index.html

QuoteI'm thinking I need to make this! it looks really good. Although it does look a wee bit light on the garlic might need to add some more!
Geez 10.5 you love the stinking rose as much as I do!!!  The recipe only called for 1 tablespoon, I had a good 4 cloves in that sauce.

QuoteI was really pulling for Marshall...that was a good game!
Being a WVU fan and being from West Virginia I would have been pretty upset if they lost, but it would have been really great for Marshall, so it wouldn't have stung for too long.  I am used to it by now anyway.

BBQ Evangelist

GusRobin

BuyLowSellHigh

Carbonara is hard to beat.  Great job!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

NePaSmoKer

Ditto what everyone else said.... Looks awesome, going to try it soon.