Kielbasa's crashing-Wake up Nepas

Started by Keymaster, April 23, 2011, 06:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

Quote from: GusRobin on April 23, 2011, 09:56:57 AM
Looks good, care to share the recipe?
Gus, I used Hi- mountains Polish sausage kit, I added Cheese and three cloves of Garlic to 9 pounds of meat. I did 4.5 pounds of Stix and 4.5 pounds in the hog casings.The Kielbasa stix I posted on Thursday. When I got up this morning I kind of freaked because I wasn't expecting Raisin looking sausage, I used to buy polish links from a Polish man and they were Tan in color and no wrinkles. I guess that is what I was expecting when I opened my smoker this morning, I don't know why I was thinking that ??? The sausage stix are the best I have made so far ;D
Rytec Kutas has a simple polish sausage recipe on page 206 in His "Great sausage recipes and meat curing book",I was going to use but thought I should use this kit up first since I have had it for almost a year.

GusRobin

Years ago aunt and uncle used to own a store and made their own Kielbasa and it looked more like yours than "tan", so I think you are okay ;D. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and my uncle passed away and my aunt doesn't remember the recipe.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pikeman_95

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 23, 2011, 06:34:48 AM
Something certainly seems to me amiss for sure. It doesn't seem to be that big of a load either. As far as safety goes the sausage will be fine. They might be dry but they will be safe once you do get them to temp.

I've had this happen before. It's sometimes very frustrating trying to get that last degree or two and this is certainly the reason I have moved to doing the hot water bath to bring them up to temp. For that mater there is no reason you couldn't throw a roster of water on the stove top and maintain the water temp at 160. Drop the sausage in (not all at once, I would do 2 or 3 batches depending on roster size) and just keep an eye on your sausage temps because they will climb fairly quick, usually about 10 to 15 minutes. I would take then to 155 using this method. Once at 155 you can give them a cold shower if you like and hang at room temp to bloom for at least 2 hours.

Mike

KEYMASTER

The next time you make these sausages take Mikes advice. You should be able to give them a few hours of heavy smoke and then do the warm water bath method to finish them. First you will save your self a ton of time and you will end up with a plump and moist sausage. They will not look like jerky. I have been doing the water bath method for years and have not had any problems.  Here is a picture of summer sausage in hog casings that the whole processing time took 4 hours.

Keymaster

Definately Kirby, I will never do a 23 hour smoke again, I woke up every hour looking at my remote thermometer never changing. I think maybe the sausages I used to get from the Polish man were closer to yours and that is what I was aiming for :D I'll either get a roaster like Mikes or fashion one up Like you made for future Kielbasa's ;D

NePaSmoKer

Finallyt some computer time.

Nothing wrong with those. Looks great