First time smoker long time BBQer

Started by Smokinator, January 21, 2013, 11:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokinator

Hey Y'all,

I'm new here so I thought I would say, Hi from Richmond, Texas!

I did a bit of reading on this forum before I started smoking and a little searching for pointers here and there while smoking. This is a great resource!

I just bought a OBS (BTIS1) and smoked my first chicken after seasoning the smoker.  It was a 5.5lbs Organic Air Chilled chicken that I brined in Cajun seasoning for several hours, rinsed with cold water and rubbed with Salt Lick's Rub under the skin then smoked for 2 hours with Hickory (never opened the door) and finished for another 3 hours in the Bradley all @ 210F. I took the bird out at 160F and let it sit for 30-45 minutes till the wife was ready to eat.  Right before serving I stuck it under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. I just have to say, that was some dang good chicken!

Here is a picture after it came out of the smoker. I spatchcocked it before I put rub on it.  I think next time I will do that before I brine it so it will fit in a ziptop bag better.

Is it wrong that I used my Webers to shield my Bradley from the wind? LoL!

Any Tips are welcome!
Smokinator

Ketch22

beefmann

absolutely not,,, its a great idea ") lol
welcome to the forum and enjoy

CaptnTony

I  moved mine to the back porch and have it up on blocks so it's out of the elements (working on a 'dryer exhaust' for the smoke now - will 'hillbilly' something together before first use; otherwise it gets put in the garage with doors open.  I'm sure the deer won't mind the smell of smoked venison bacon on my hunting gear :) )

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum! I'm in Richwood, Tx. Not too far from ya. I've used 2 chairs and a tarp to block the wind, plus a couple of extra boxes of Bradley bisquettes on top of the smoker :o

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Ohiojude

Quote from: Smokinator on January 21, 2013, 11:55:14 AM
Hey Y'all,

I'm new here so I thought I would say, Hi from Richmond, Texas!

I did a bit of reading on this forum before I started smoking and a little searching for pointers here and there while smoking. This is a great resource!

I just bought a OBS (BTIS1) and smoked my first chicken after seasoning the smoker.  It was a 5.5lbs Organic Air Chilled chicken that I brined in Cajun seasoning for several hours, rinsed with cold water and rubbed with Salt Lick's Rub under the skin then smoked for 2 hours with Hickory (never opened the door) and finished for another 3 hours in the Bradley all @ 210F. I took the bird out at 160F and let it sit for 30-45 minutes till the wife was ready to eat.  Right before serving I stuck it under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. I just have to say, that was some dang good chicken!

Here is a picture after it came out of the smoker. I spatchcocked it before I put rub on it.  I think next time I will do that before I brine it so it will fit in a ziptop bag better.

Any Tips are welcome!
Smokinator

Hello Smokinator, Did you cook the bird the whole time or just for 3 hrs. I want to try a whole chicken and trying to figure out the smoking and cooking times.

regards,

judy
Bradley 4 rack

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Smokinator

Ohiojude, smoked for 2 hours with Hickory and finished for another 3 hours in the Bradley all @ 210F total 5 hours.