Small UNCOOKED ham

Started by hktkct, July 21, 2011, 08:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hktkct

I have been smoking since last summer but this is first time I have tried a ham, so I got a small UNCOOKED  ham, could anyone give me any advise I'm thinking 145 IT. thanks

Habanero Smoker

Traditionally uncooked hams are first cooked to 152°F - 155°F. They are slightly tougher then the loin, but 145°F would be safe. If your ham is already cured, and you want to smoke it; the below link is to the method I use - just scroll down to the smoking directions:
Smoked Cured Ham

If it is not cure and you want to apply smoke; smoke/cook at least at a cabinet temperature of 200°F; 225°F would be best.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jukebox

I've been curing and smoking small bone-in hams for about seven months now.  I love them!  I usually brine them one day for every 2 pounds.  Inject them all over with the brine first.  Brine 2 liters of water, 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 4 teaspoons of Cure #1 (pink salt?).  I find that if you miss a spot with the injecting, the ham will be brownish not pink but it still tastes great!  They aren't too salty at all.  The last one I did was 6 pounds.  I smoke them for about 4-6 hours (I like my smokey!).  I air dry them with the box at 120 F for about 4 hours, then increase the temp to 130 F.  I put warm water in the bowl and smoke them for 4-6 hours.  Increase the temp to 210 F and cook until the internal temp is 152 F.  I put my ham in a vacuum pack bag and keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to cook it (at least 3 days).  Finished ham I cook at 325 until it is done.  Cut off a small piece and cook it in a frying pan to test for saltiness before you cook it.  If it is too salty, soak it in cold water for an hour or so.  It will be far saltier done in the frying pan so keep that in mind.