Metal taste in leftovers???

Started by TMB, February 03, 2010, 08:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Are you using table salt in your rub or brine, the iodine can leave a metallic taste.

MPTubbs

I did a couple of wild turkeys 2 weeks ago and gave some to a buddy.

He said once in a while he would chew on something hard.

I told him it was lead and to spit it out.

;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

classicrockgriller

I'm not trying to embarass Tommy, cause he is a great cook thinker, ie problem solver.

But also The Forum has alot of Vistors/Guest that read these post and I would hate to have

someone think the Bradley is responsible for giving off a metal taste.

TMB's smoker is a smoker other than a Bradley. It is not a Bradley And I know the way Tommy

is and he wouldn't want anyone to think that.

So now back to solving Tommy's problem!

TMB

Quote from: OU812 on February 03, 2010, 12:31:49 PM
Are you using table salt in your rub or brine, the iodine can leave a metallic taste.
You know that's probably it. All my brines have been with reg salt, good thinking. Well I bet you hit that right on the head.
Looks like I'll just have to cook again to fine out.    Now sea salt or kosher salt?  Which is better (remember I'm kinda new at most of this stuff)

Thanks for the help  
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TMB

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 03, 2010, 12:46:50 PM
I'm not trying to embarass Tommy, cause he is a great cook thinker, ie problem solver.

But also The Forum has alot of Vistors/Guest that read these post and I would hate to have

someone think the Bradley is responsible for giving off a metal taste.

TMB's smoker is a smoker other than a Bradley. It is not a Bradley And I know the way Tommy

is and he wouldn't want anyone to think that.

So now back to solving Tommy's problem!
You are right CRG, I don't want anyone to take this as a bad thing for Bradley smokers. I think it's my fault for using the wrong salt as the last reply I made.  I'll get the right stuff and let you know how it works out. 

I hope to never be taken wrong for saying something, if I were please CALL ME ON IT.

Tommy (TMB)

FLBentRider

Quote from: TMB on February 03, 2010, 12:47:48 PM
You know that's probably it. All my brines have been with reg salt, good thinking. Well I bet you hit that right on the head.
Looks like I'll just have to cook again to fine out.    Now sea salt or kosher salt?  Which is better (remember I'm kinda new at most of this stuff)

I would go with the Kosher.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TMB

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 03, 2010, 12:52:53 PM
Quote from: TMB on February 03, 2010, 12:47:48 PM

I would go with the Kosher.
OK, and since this is a test of my cooking the wife will just have too let me cook to find out!  ;)    May be I can smoke a butt and cook with TBE or SRG!!!   LOL      she can't say no to science right?  ;D

KOSHER salt it is!

classicrockgriller

Tommy, you did NOTHING wrong.

We enjoy you being here and I hope NO ONE took it that you did.

Like I said, I have been on the site late at nite and have seen as many as

40 guest on the forum and just wanted to make it clear that the Bradley

was not a player in this.

We love you buddy! ;D

NePaSmoKer

thats true OU. Thats why i never use iodized salt when i do sausage/jerky

classicrockgriller

FLBentRider

I think the only thing we use table salt for anymore is popcorn.

I use pickling or kosher in brines, and kosher at the table.

Good call OU!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Had it happen to me once and I traced my steps backwards and it pointed to the salt. They make table salt with no iodine in it if you are use to using that size of salt crystals

Hope this works for you brother.

TMB

I do have non-iodized salt at home but that's for my fish tank, if you used iodine in there you would kill the fish.  So off to the store for kosher salt and a butt!  ;D  I'll save the non-iodized stuff for the fish.

Thanks all, great to know there are good people left in this crazy country of ours! 

OBTW  thanks to all!!   

OU812