Dr. Pepper Chicken

Started by SnellySmokesEm, September 14, 2010, 08:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I decided to smoke a whole chicken on Sunday and instead of using beer up the birds butt I used a can of Dr. Pepper.  I seasoned the bird with Adobo, lemon pepper and garlic.  I smoked with apple chips for 2 hours @ 175 and the whole cook took about 4 hours.  I also mopped with Butler's Texas Gold.  Butler's is great on Chicken.  Here are some pics, but somehow I deleted some of the good ones.

I made chicken salad out of the leftover breast for lunch this morning.   ;D ;D ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

kinyo

classicrockgriller

Butlers is some nice sauce!

Looks mighty nice.

SnellySmokesEm

It tasted great.  I knew I likes butler's but I just wasnt sure what to put it on.  I guess its in the same category as CT???
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

SnellySmokesEm

BBQ Evangelist

TestRocket

squirtthecat

I saw a big can of Mike's Hard Cranberry lemonade at the store...     I wonder how that would do stuffed up the exit end of a turkey??

Habanero Smoker

The chicken looks good.

I often use the different flavors of canned fruit juices from Goya or Jumex. May two favorites are mango and coconut, but the other fruit juices work well for can chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 14, 2010, 01:42:44 PM
The chicken looks good.

I often use the different flavors of canned fruit juices from Goya or Jumex. May two favorites are mango and coconut, but the other fruit juices work well for can chicken.

Just read this, that is a kewl idea.

Thanks Habs.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

wonko the sane

I read somewhere that if I spray my "Beer Can Chicken" with olive oil at 30 minute intervals, then the skin will come out nice and crispy. Does anyone know whether or not this is accurate? What are the options for getting the skin of poultry to crisp? Thanks. I have another question. I know that I am a "Newbie".  I see that others have different designations, such as "Member Extraordinaire", and so on. How does one accomplish this?
Impermanent are all things created.....Strive on in Awareness

Habanero Smoker

The first thing you should do is keep the vent 3/4 to fully opened. Rubbing oil on the skin will help, but I don't know if I would do it every 30 minutes using the Bradley. Try just rubbing it down good at the beginning. Other ways are to take the chicken out early and finish with high heat in the oven or over a grill, or dust it with cornstarch prior to placing it in the smoker.

The designations depends on how many post you have made. As you add post to the forum you designation will change. You will see the first change at 100 posts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)