Ground Venison Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 20, 2009, 11:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I am doing the other 5lbs of the venison into jerky. Added my usual wet marinade, cure and some black pepper. BS is tied up with sticks so the jerky is going into the big "C" dehydrator  ;D

close up

Filling the big "C"   ;D I alternate the jerky on the racks for better air distribution. Starting at 145*

nepas

josbocc

Looking good Nepas!!!  Is that straight venison, or do you mix in some regular GB with it?  I ask because everytime I try stright venison, it comes out too dry.  Perhaps the wet marinade is the secret  8)

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: josbocc on April 20, 2009, 12:21:08 PM
Looking good Nepas!!!  Is that straight venison, or do you mix in some regular GB with it?  I ask because everytime I try stright venison, it comes out too dry.  Perhaps the wet marinade is the secret  8)

Jeff

The venison was 10lbs cut with 5lbs of pork. This gave me enough to do sticks and jerky.

nepas

Buck36

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 20, 2009, 12:46:23 PM
The venison was 10lbs cut with 5lbs of pork. This gave me enough to do sticks and jerky.

nepas

I have never put pork in with my venison jerky but I like the idea. The sausage always get cut with some but the jerky I thought using pork you had to be afraid of bacteria. The salt level must eliminate any risk of that?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on April 20, 2009, 05:25:05 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 20, 2009, 12:46:23 PM

nepas

I have never put pork in with my venison jerky but I like the idea. The sausage always get cut with some but the jerky I thought using pork you had to be afraid of bacteria. The salt level must eliminate any risk of that?

The pork was 5lbs of pork butt i ground up. I use cure #1 to eliminate the bacteria and dehydrate at 145* starting and finish at 155*

So total meat mix was 15lbs

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is 2lbs of the venison jerky all done. Going to freeze the other half.

nepas

Up In Smoke

Nepa's
Can i come to your house for lessons? :-\
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smokin Soon

Looks great Nepa! My coffee can savings for the "Big C" is almost ready to launch! Now just the question of where to put the thing! ???

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on April 21, 2009, 03:08:12 PM
Nepa's
Can i come to your house for lessons? :-\

Sure come on over  ;D

nepas