Canuck newbie with new DBS!

Started by jonmall, June 18, 2009, 03:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonmall

Hi, everybody! I've been lurking for a few weeks reading all the great tips and recipes---such as ensuring tight connections with power/sensor cables, properly seasoning, etc.---I took the leap and grabbed up a BDS before they ran out (lol)---it's time I introduced myself.

I live in Toronto and will be contributing smoking experiences as they relate to living in a condo. Smokers are not prohibited here---they're not even mentioned in the by-laws! BBQs are allowed as long as they're electric. Well, the BDS is electric and it's sort of a BBQ, right? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So far so good, but hickory is way too strong for this place. I seasoned with it yesterday, but switched to Apple today for my first smoke: a dozen chicken breasts and quarters. Much nicer, lighter smoke---that's just sour grapes---if I could use hickory, I would! Ennway, chicken looks golden brown and quarters very moist; I fear the breasts may be a bit dry through---I'll experiment.

Also, I've been living with metric here for many hundreds of moons and STILL I heated the smoker up to a "blazing" 120 degrees F! After 1.5 hrs I realized my mistake and raised the temp to 120 degrees C---duh. Don't think it hurt anything...just means a longer cold smoke, right? Finishing it off for another 45 minutes at the same temp with no smoke. Almost done now---I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks everyone! Happy to join this great group of (helpful) smokers! ;D

GrillZilla

Hey pal.  Welcome aboard.  I think you will find some of the best people on here to help guide you though your smoking adventures.  I am new as well, and everyone has really been very helpful. 

Gizmo

Welcome Jonmall,
If you find your chicken to be dry, you can brine them to moisten them up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

jonmall

Thanks for the welcome replies, folks! (I will try the brine with whole chicken). My baby steps with the chicken pieces went well despite my temp mistake. Gorgeous colour, really moist and taste was phenomenal! Here are some pics:

quarters:

breasts:

Okay, next smoke for the weekend: rabbit & ribs; then, whole chicken & brisket...can't wait! How did I not know about Bradleys before?! Thanks to all for great tips & recipes!

smokeitall

Welcome aboard, great looking first smoke there.  I always brine my chicken before it goes in the smoker.  Turns out very moist that way.

dilly

Welcome!  New Canuck member here as well. 8)  I bet you went to Crappy Tire.
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.

deb415611

Welcome Jonmall.   Chicken looks great

Margareeman

Welcome fellow Canuck, the chicken looks good. i am new to all this stuff myself and I will tell you the folks here will help you with any issue you may have, when it come to smoking that is, great bunch of gals and guys.

mikecorn.1

Mike

jonmall

Great job, Mike, on your first smoke! Guess a lot of folks choose chicken for their first smoke, eh? I just swore the smoking pledge, too. I can attest to similar comments from friends and family on the third smoke: whole rabbit, ribs, pork loin roast, chicken legs. Moist, tasty, smoky---yum! They also thought I'd gone to a lot of trouble---heehee, little do they know. So this is what being in a secret society feels like...

You're right, dilly, I went to Crappy Tire---then I went running out of there as fast as my little legs could carry me---$499.99 for the DBS4; found it elsewhere, though, for $364!

Thanks to all for the welcoming comments!

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Jonmall

you and I share too problems; having lived, and I love how you put it (living with metric here for many hundreds of moons) and neighbors arrogance and ignorance about smoking. I have done several mistakes with regard to F and C temps. Then I decided to keep myself reminded of the difference by switching my wedding ring from my left to right hand. It is annoying when you do that but it serves the purpose.
As when I started smoking (using charcoal smokers so far) my neighbors thought I was the neighborhood contractor so burn the unwanted wood in the area. They held a meeting and sent the head of the building committee to see me. Luckely, I was smoking "beer but chicken" that day and I, yes I gave him a bribe; a beer but smoked thigh and that was that. His is now an advocate and whenever he smells smoke, he just happen to pop in to "say" hi. I have to mention here that I live on the ground floor of the building and I do have a nice garden. but it is still considered condo living in all standards.

So, my friend stick to your guns and if you have to do some "bribing" every once in a while it would not hurt you.

Best of luck. 

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

lumpy

Hey there Torontonian
Hows the stink the in the GTA? I can smell it down here in Kitchener :(

Welcome to the forum! Nice pictures.

Keep smoking!

Lumpy