Greetings from L.A./Long Beach, California. Tips welcome!

Started by Mongo Johnson, July 03, 2009, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mongo Johnson

Went to Kansas City Mo. 'Ate at Jack Stack BBQ, and local Q again at a family reunion and become possessed by the idea of doing my own smokin'. Have been grillin' forever and enjoy it.

Did WWW searching . . . Considered the Weber Smokey Mountain and some other electrics. Had been told in KC to look at the "Good One" smokers . . . but costs $$$.

Decided I didn't have any zealot "issues" with doing electic vs. baby sitting a real fire. Isn't smoke smoke? Kinda like not minding the cheezy glowing Fox puck if it was good for the sport. Same with propane over briquettes . . . right? (Grin)

Pucks can't be bad!

Am considering the 3rd party controller.

Did my buy at Amazon, but the wood is a few days out. Called Bradley and kidded about their wood pucks being as scarce here as hockey fans . . . Ah, Southern California.

A broad number of retailers like Home Depot and Walmart sell the smoker and wood online, but not at local sites here. Bummer.

There appears to be a seller in Orange, Ca. Not far. Road trip tomorrow.

Now to look at the FAQs and forum for newbie "first timer" tips and get to smokin'! Maybe rib roast and peanuts!

This rookie is willing for any tips and pointers to WWW sites that are avaible.

Go Kings! (Yeah, I know. But they snagged Scuderi!

Gizmo

Welcome Mongo,
No live wood purchases here in the San Diego area either.  Amazon has great deals especially when you can get the buy 3 get 1 free special. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Mongo Johnson!

The only place I've seen pucks in a store is Cabelas/Outdoor World/Gander Mtn.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Hi Mongo and welcome to the forum.

Just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post to go to the recipe site. Lots of great stuff there from all the fine folks here on the forum.

Keep us posted on your smokes!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Mongo

If you have a Dicks sporting goods you might try there. I dont know if Big 5 carries them.

nepas

beefmann

hello mongo and neighbor, im just to the east of you  and not to many sell bradleys out here .. only place that i have been able to find them was at bbq galore but it was limited.

best place to place an order is through yard and pool and let them know that you are a Bradley member .. they will take care of you if you have problems you can also talk to brain at bradley directly

smokeitall

Margareeman

Welcome Mongo to the best smoking forum on the planet!

Caneyscud

Welcome Mongo.  First off remember the mantra here in Predator Country - 'Detroit Sucks"!

Bradley smoking is enjoyable, relaxing, and mighty tasty - and that is from a long time stickburner!  Have fun with it, experiment until you get what you want, and then experiment some more to come up with something better!  It is addicting!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Quote from: beefmann on July 06, 2009, 05:57:34 PM
hello mongo and neighbor, im just to the east of you  and not to many sell bradleys out here .. only place that i have been able to find them was at bbq galore but it was limited.

best place to place an order is through yard and pool and let them know that you are a Bradley member .. they will take care of you if you have problems you can also talk to brain at bradley directly

I didn't no you would get any benefits form yard and pool if you were a "Bradley member" I just ordered a big ol box of pecan a little wile back, bummer.

Mongo Johnson

Quote from: Caneyscud on July 07, 2009, 09:04:39 AM
Welcome Mongo.  First off remember the mantra here in Predator Country - 'Detroit Sucks"!

Bradley smoking is enjoyable, relaxing, and mighty tasty - and that is from a long time stickburner!  Have fun with it, experiment until you get what you want, and then experiment some more to come up with something better!  It is addicting!

The Pred's did better than my King's last season! Maybe our recent pick-ups will help us!

Caneyscud

Not that much better - although we did pick up 8 points against ya'll.  I think the Kings were the only team we swept.  It sucks being in the Western Division where 4 of 5 went to playoffs.  But we had a good excuse - our last "owner" (I won't use more exotic choice words) before selling the team had a sell off of our talent, plus Radulof defecting.  Bright spot was getting Sullivan back from injury - almost 2 years.  Who have ya'll picked up - haven't been following much during the off-season.  Just know we re-signed Sullivan and picked up a bunch of young guys in the draft - many heading to college and all needing time and, but unfortunately we need some scoring right now.  I like how our D is coming around.  Very good young talent.  But our scoring sucks.  We don't have many/any just natural goal-scorers.  Our percentage of making penalty shots and shoot out shots - sucks.  And we don't seem to have anybody who likes to plant themselves in front of the goalie - we tend try to make lots of "pretty" passes instead of shooting and getting those ugly hardworking goals.  We also re-signed Joel Ward - who was a pleasant surprise with 35p - 17 goals for not even a full season.  Hopefully he will turn into the guy we need in front of the goalie.  Hopefully they are talking to some guys on the free agent list!  We need a forward or two with some size and who can score!  We've got two or three good playmakers, (Arnott, Sullivan, Legwand) if we just had some guys on the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines who could finish off the plays.  They just announced the preseason schedule.  Looking forward to that, and maybe since I have more time off than I used to, maybe I can go to some practices.  9/14 first preseason home game - coming up fast!  ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"