Chef choice 609 slicer which blade??

Started by hybridcx, February 08, 2012, 04:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

Looking at getting a chef 610 slicer and it comes with a serated blade but can get a non serated blade for about 25$ on top. I was just curious what blade you guys used? I will be mainly using it for slicing meat for beef jerky, cheese, and Canadian/reg bacon. Will be the main uses.. Just thought I would ask before placing the order. Thanks

hybridcx

viper125

I ordered both. But haven't tried the smooth blade. The serrated blade cuts thick and thin just fine. Guess if it gets dull I'll try the other one.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

I have never been in a deli where I saw a serated blade on a slicer.  Never seen a serated blade on a slicer in a butcher shop.  I have seen them on meat saws as such but never on a slicer in a commercial setting.  Not saying they are not useful.  Funnily enough I just read today where the serated blade on a slicer is primarily used for slicing bread and fibrous things such as various vegetables and things.

Those of you who have serated blades on your slicer, I mean no disrespect at all.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on February 08, 2012, 06:09:21 PM
I have never been in a deli where I saw a serated blade on a slicer.  Never seen a serated blade on a slicer in a butcher shop.  I have seen them on meat saws as such but never on a slicer in a commercial setting.  Not saying they are not useful.  Funnily enough I just read today where the serated blade on a slicer is primarily used for slicing bread and fibrous things such as various vegetables and things.

Those of you who have serated blades on your slicer, I mean no disrespect at all.
Ditto.  No disrespect to anyone, but...
20+ years in the restaurant business...  Never saw ONE serrated blade.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

FLBentRider

My 632 came with both.

I put the non-serrated one on, sliced some bacon very nicely. I read that the serrated one (that came with it) was for bread and such.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

viper125

Well in the old days they didn't exsist. But its advertised for slicing meat and this is the blade that was in it. So if some thing works it don't make sense to fix. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Inside setup.

Quarlow

That explains why I hate this POS that I have. I can't wait to smash it into little pieces. As soon as I replace it this thing is demo'd. Or someone can have it for parts.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hybridcx

figured as much, wish when you bought it you had the choice of what blade you wanted to come with it...

bille

Quote from: hybridcx on February 08, 2012, 04:22:05 PM
Looking at getting a chef 610 slicer and it comes with a serated blade but can get a non serated blade for about 25$ on top. I was just curious what blade you guys used? I will be mainly using it for slicing meat for beef jerky, cheese, and Canadian/reg bacon. Will be the main uses.. Just thought I would ask before placing the order. Thanks

I just bought the 610 and also the non serrated blade, it works fine for all jobs, it really does a good job on bacon. I put the serrated blade away, I guess it will make a good spare.

viper125

Quote from: Quarlow on February 08, 2012, 09:15:10 PM
That explains why I hate this POS that I have. I can't wait to smash it into little pieces. As soon as I replace it this thing is demo'd. Or someone can have it for parts.

What POS you talking about? Quarlow?
Inside setup.

Quarlow

The POS I am referring to is an old Salton POS that I bought used at a flea market for $15. I know it is a POS because everytime I use the POS it P.I.S.S.es me right off. The fact that it is a POS became evident on Monday when the POS broke a tab off on the POS blade. It would make a great blade if you were building a "Robot Warrior" bot. It does have a good strong motor too if someone is being creative in some mechanical way. Other than that it is just basically a crappy POS. I hope you are able to read between the lines about this POS slicer that I can't wait to replace.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Well reading between the lines. I don't think you care much for it.lol when some thing like that stresses me. I take it out back to meet my 44 magnum. Normally straightens right out. Lol.
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Dam being canadian. We can't have pistols here. Have to settle for the 12ga. Good plan, I like it.

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Never could understand Canada not wanting guns. Still a lot of wilderness there. I would go to another country before giving up my guns!LOL
Inside setup.