Wood Master- Alternative heating

Started by HCT, July 05, 2008, 08:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Does anyone have any comments about this product?
http://www.woodmaster.com/

With the price of oil ever going up been thinking of alternative heating and hot water for the house. I use the wood stove for my first floor and that keeps me cozy. But I need to change my lower level where my daughter and her family are. Been thinking of adding another stove but then I also have to install a prefab chimney. So dollar for dollar this might make more sense. Be my luck I'd install it and the price of wood would skyrocket.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Mr Walleye

HCT

I don't know anything about that unit but I have come across a number of these multi fuel stoves. This is a link to a company that supplies them up here in Saskatchewan but I believe they are made in the USA so there must be supplies there as well. One of the ones I saw in action was running off a thermostat and also connected into the heating system in the home. If you were away and it ran out of fuel it would switch over to your regular heating system as well. I believe they will hold enough grain for 2 or 3 days.

Anyway, I just thought you might be interested in the link.

http://www.greenatlantic.com/stove/index.html

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

Thanks Mike. I just checked out a dealer's website that's nearby. At this point I'm open to anything.
probably the biggest"

firerescueman

Hey all!

I finally found a subject that I can offer quite a bit of input on!

I have an outdoor wood furnace made by Central Boiler Inc.    (www.centralboiler.com)   We use it to heat the house AND our hot water.   As a matter of fact,  I am currently still running the furnace even though our average temps are in the 90's right now.  During the summer months,  I can load it on Monday and not touch it again until Friday or Saturday.   During the wintertime,  it has to be loaded up to twice daily depending on how cold it is outside.

This has been absolutely the best investment that I have ever made for my home!   I have a family of four,  and our average electric bills in the winter time were between $400-$500 per month,  this furnace dropped my bills to about $100-$150 per month AT THE MOST!     Here's the catch.....  you have to have a source for free firewood for it to make sense.   If you have to buy all of your wood,  it's not going to save you much money.  But if you don't mind the extra bit of work,  it will more than pay for itself within a year or two.

Buying one of these is about like buying an air conditioner.....  you have to buy the proper size unit for your home.   Mine ran about $6000 for the furnace and all the parts necessary for installation and came with a 25 year warranty from the factory.  ( the warranty is included,  all you have to do is register the furnace at time of purchase)

I did ALOT of research before making my purchase,  and the units made by Central Boiler were by far the best made unit and the overall best value for your money.   I LOVE mine! 

and NO....  I do not sell these or make anything for my recommendation of their product.   ::)

If you need any more info...... just ask!
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Habanero Smoker

There use to be a place nearby that sold outdoor furnaces, and they were selling like hot cakes. They work very well and are economical.

Before purchasing make sure you check with you local zoning officer. In the past few years, not only my area but many places in New York have either banned or placed restrictions on them. I can recall two major problems, the first was the chimney was too short, so ordinances required the buyer to install higher chimneys. The short chimneys caused smoke to drift too close to the ground. The other; which is a major problem and caused by misuse by the consumer; people were using them as an incinerator burning anything that could be burned which was often toxic materials.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

firerescueman

Habs is right,

certain areas have banned them altogether because of misuse.   These units are great if you live out in the country,  or a lightly populated area.   If you have a neighbor,  they say to make sure the top of the chimney is taller than the top of your neighbor's roofline.

If you live in a subdivision,  where houses are packed closely together,  I wouldn't spend the money because your neighbors will complain.

People have misused them alot,  by burning things other than wood.   People have burned trash and other materials that can be toxic when burned.  This is why they have a bad reputation in some areas.  When used PROPERLY,  they can be very efficient and a nice addition to your home.  They can save you ALOT of money on your utility bills.

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

HCT

Jeff, thanks for the info. I buy my wood by the pole lengths and cut and split it myself. Alot of work but well worth it. The thing is wood is getting scarce up here, nobody is clearing land and the foresters are swamped with backorders. I was lucky to get mine as fast as I did. Only took 2 months and I have an order in for next year already. I check for the codes but up here in the boonies it shouldn't be that bad. I know the chimney will be high.

Habs, thanks for the info. I know that the fella up in Millerton raised his price by $2 large since the demand has really increased.
probably the biggest"

Smokin Soon

I lived in Oscoda Michigan, [North East Coast] for a number of years and had quite a few friends that used a waste oil setup that pumped hot water heating to the house. I checked on these after moving to California, and they are a no-no here. For a Shop or Garage they work great! I understand in Nevada where they are legal, it is commen to have a pickup with a tank and pump to cruise the local
garages and dealerships. They have to pay to get rid of it anyway. If I were to go back to cold country this is the way I would go. Already proven to be a saver when times were not so bad.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: HCT on July 07, 2008, 05:11:09 PM
Jeff, thanks for the info. I buy my wood by the pole lengths and cut and split it myself. Alot of work but well worth it. The thing is wood is getting scarce up here, nobody is clearing land and the foresters are swamped with backorders. I was lucky to get mine as fast as I did. Only took 2 months and I have an order in for next year already. I check for the codes but up here in the boonies it shouldn't be that bad. I know the chimney will be high.

Habs, thanks for the info. I know that the fella up in Millerton raised his price by $2 large since the demand has really increased.

Oh is that guy still in Millerton, that is the dealer I was referring to. He couldn't keep enough in stock. He must have move. He used to be right on Rt. 22, and I haven't seen him in the past couple of years so I thought he closed down. I'm in the boonies and there are codes regulating them. It may be because my area is attacking a lot of weekenders, and zoning codes have been increasing at an alarming rate over the past few years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Habs, from what I understand he's on Millerton Road, not sure if that's rte. 22, he also supposedly has a place in Lakeville, Ct.. I haven't been there yet, just got the info from one of my daughters friends. I'm glad I posted this, it's giving my alot of different info that I will check out.
We have the same problem with the weekend warriors coming up here. They maybe good for the local businesses but terrible for the locals and what they are trying to do up here. Typical NYC people trying to rearrange everything to their advantage and not knowing what country living is all about. I'm sure you understand. :D
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

;D ;D ;D ;D :)

I know what you mean all to well. You are going to have to stop, or you get me going! :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.