Pork belly?

Started by BrandNewSmoker, May 23, 2012, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandNewSmoker

hello again all.
          I have yet another question(lol i know everyone is shocked)...
                 here goes,
            I called 2 local butcher shops today for a price on pork belly, 1 shop came in like a $1.40 a pound  higher then the other, but shop #1 gets fresh, shop #2 buys in bulk and freezes what they get.  question is once its all said and done and cured and smoked does it make that much of a difference to buy fresh over frozen?

sorry been on night shift or would have gotten back sooner:
       Frozen is $2.49 a lbs  fresh is, well a $ 1.40 more

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Kahunas

If it's only slightly higher get the fresh. You won't have to thaw it out.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GusRobin

If I read it right, the fresh is $1.40 lb higher. What is the total price? I get some good belly from a local farmer for $3.20 a lb and it is a special breed. I buy about 20lbs at a time and freeze about 1/2 before I use it. I can't really taste the difference between the fresh and frozen. While the fresh gives you more options,  the extra $1.40 a lb wouldn't be worth it to me, but that is my personal opinion.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

slowpoke

I like to use fresh.It depends on what I am going to use the meat for.Bacon I can use frozen,or fresh.As for the price,I deserve the best.
A few bucks isn't going to break the bank,but it may mean the differance between tender or shoe leather.Just a thought.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Habanero Smoker

I have used frozen fresh bellies and I can't detect any difference in texture. I have thawed frozen bellies, and grilled them fresh (uncured) and the meat texture was fine. I would take the bargain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 24, 2012, 03:30:13 AM
I have used frozen fresh bellies and I can't detect any difference in texture. I have thawed frozen bellies, and grilled them fresh (uncured) and the meat texture was fine. I would take the bargain.
Ditto!

rajzer

Frozen should be fine, just as long it hasn't been forgotten in the freezer for a while.

3rensho

Tritto!!  I buy on sale and freeze.  Fat content is so high it protects the meat.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

Piker

I brought one frozen a while back and did not notice until I got home that it had a bit of freezer burn. I just sliced it off about 1lb. and it was as good as new. Piker

Kahunas

I think I read that wrong. $1.40 per lb higher? Hell with that, go frozen.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.