New Member - 2nd Smoke Attempt With Bradley

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, June 14, 2009, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: RocketSurgeon on June 16, 2009, 03:08:03 PM

The thing I question is when someone says cook at 210, should that be the highest point of the temp range, the average temp, or the low point???  Not having enough experience, I default to low and slow. 
Generally it would be the average.  With a few very particular smokes such as some sausages, cheese, lox, etc... it might be the high - read the recipes carefully on the smokes different than butts, briskets, ribs, roasts, etc...... those are much more forgiving! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

And welcome to you R.S.

Glad to hear the ribs turned out for you. My 1st attempt sucked but was all my fault.

This time I smoked for 2 hours with apple, Then boated with apple juice for about 3 hours, then sauce for 1 hour. They came out moist and fall off the bone tender.

As far as temp goes, I set my DBS6 at 225 and it took until the smoke was done to reach that. I also had 10 lb of canadian bacon in with the ribs. I did monitor the temp with a remote also and confirmed it took that long to come up to temp. Had some temp fluctuation that others have had, but I had decided to finish it in my kitchen oven as it was going to be a late night due to my starting time. So I decided to check the temp on my oven and it had a larger variation that the Bradley smoker does.

Anyway, my thought is that the cooking temp is the max you should go for and the rest will even out. Like you said, low and slow.
HawkeyeSmokes