Shrimp and Scallops

Started by stillsmoking, February 14, 2009, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Got some shrimp and scallops in the works for tonights dinner.  Have cleaned the shrimp and mixed up a brine.

2qts water
1/2 Cup salt
1/2 Cup brown sugar
2 TBsp black pepper with lemon
2 TBsp dried onion flakes
2 TBsp dried garlic flakes
1 TBsp chili powder
2 Tbsp dried dill

Will marinate the shrimp and scallops for about 30 minutes then smoke at 210 for 30 minutes and check for doneness.

cowgirl

That sounds wonderful! Shrimp and scallops are a couple of my favorites....looking forward to seeing your finished smoke!  8)

Smokin Soon

Something here is just screaming "wrap me in bacon!".......YUM.... ;D  ;)

cowgirl

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 14, 2009, 04:27:45 PM
Something here is just screaming "wrap me in bacon!".......YUM.... ;D  ;)

lol That does sound good!

stillsmoking

Finished up with 45 minutes of brine, then into the smoker for 30 minutes of hickory.  The scallops were perfect.  Tender, buttery, decadent.  Shrimp were slightly salty but good.  Next time I would rinse the brine off the shrimp before smoking.

Out of the brine into the smoker

Out of the smoker

On the plate with some potato and mushroom gratin

Bonus picture, small chunk of ice off the local berg floating by

Kummok

Okay...NOW I'm convinced!! Just picked up 5 lbs of fresh SE Alaska shrimp that's gonna be getting REAL familiar with your recipe, SS. ThanX for sharing!

stillsmoking

Kummok, the wife loves the scallops.  The shrimp were really good but a little rushed.  I really would rinse the shrimp off and let them dry for a bit if I did it again.  Apple smoke next time but the hickory was just right for the scallops. Good luck!

rdevous

Stillsmoking,

I used your brine recipe (except I sub'd two tblsp Old Bay for the one tblsp of chili powder) to brine some 16/20 shrimp and sea scallops.  Smoked them with apple wood Bisquettes for 30 minutes at 220 degrees.  I then cut them up into chunks and added them to some Bertolli Alfredo sauce and served it over some linguine.  They were good.  By the second night the smoke flavor had permeated the sauce and it was awesome!!!  The shrimp shells were split down the back.  This allowed some of the spices in the brine to be trapped inside and held the smoke during smoking.  They were still moist.  The scallops were a little rubbery in the sauce.  Next time I will under cook the scallops knowing that the heat of the sauce will finish them.

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

stillsmoking

Hi rdevous, haven't been on here for a while thanks for your reply.  I agree with your comments.  Since I first sent this post we have done scallops and shrimp many times.  I brine for an hour and rinse lightly.  I still tend to leave the scallops about 30 minutes with the shrimp but do prefer the scallops as you say slightly "underdone".  I should add I do the scallops and shrimp on two separate trays now on the second and third levels from the bottom.  Scallops lower and out first.  I use apple mostly but a touch of hickory is also good with the apple.  The scallops are so rich I can't eat more than about four but my wife will eat more.  It is our favorite way to have shrimp and scallop.  We usually do the shrimp without shells but as you say I think it may be better with the shells on.  Thanks for the feedback Ray!

We do Dungeness crab in the same brine with spectacular results.  I tweak the brine from time to time but that is the basic thing and time.

manxman

QuoteWe do Dungeness crab in the same brine with spectacular results.

Good timing stillsmoking, friend bought a sack of scallops and some crab ashore for me yesterday and I was wondering what to do with the crab!   :)

Thank you.
Manxman

Wildcat

Nice looking seafood. Looks like you could use some high temp screens.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/