Biershinken

Started by Tenpoint5, September 09, 2008, 02:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

If anyone was curious about the Biershinken in my first post it is rather easy to make. So I thought I would post the recipe. Wasn't sure where to put it so curing sounded good.

BIERSHINKEN

Take 2 1/2 lbs lean pork butt ( I usually use tenderloin but not necessary) and cube it into 3/4 inch cubes. Toss with tender quick and put in fridge a couple days.

Take 1 1/4 lb pork butt cubed and season it like bologna and emulsify with some ice water in a food processor til it is a paste. Add 2 tsp nonfat dry milk and blend in the processor--it will get stiff. Mix the emulsified meat with the cubed meat and stuff into fibrous casings. I just spoon it in and keep packing it down in the casing.

Seasoning for emulsified meat:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp mace
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cure #1

Smoke at 170 til 152 internal.

Then give bath in Ice water to stop the cooking and cool down to 100. Then refrigerate.

Pictorial

2 1/2 lbs with cure ready for fridge

1 1/4 lbs ready to be seasoned and emulsified

Cured and Emulsified mixed together ready to be spooned into casing.

Stuffed and ready for smoker

All done smoking taking a bath in Ice water. NOTE: DO NOT IMMERSE MAVERICK PROBE AS SEEN IN PHOTO!!!! water WILL seep into the probe and render it USELESS!!!!!!!! Experience Talking.

The finished product

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

So 10 1/2 what does it taste like? Looks like what I would call canadian bacon but the spices are very interesting. Anything I could translate it to in taste? Looks great. And educate me on "fibrous casings"? I have only ever used sheep or hog casings when making sausages. Looks like casings on summer sausage or like that?

Mr Walleye

I'm just curious... I've never used fibrous casings and I wondered what the smoke penetration is like?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

I am really curious about the emulsified meat, Is That an old family recipe thing? It looks really great and I would like to try it. I have a good meat grinder, but no food processor. Would it be the same to grind in a smaller plate?

Tenpoint5

LQ and Mike  I'm sorry, what it tastes like is Ham suspended in bologna more of a ham taste. With a nice smokey flavor.

The fibrous casings don't hinder the smoke that much at all IMHO. The casings that I used are the some left over ones from making Venison summer sausage. So yes they are the same casing.

Smokin
I haven't tried it without the emulsification. I don't think it would be the same the chunks wouldn't be suspended. Before I bought a food processor. I used the blender to make my emulsification. Just add some ice water to keep the mixture cool. If you run it through the fine plate on your grinder it should reduce the work load on the blender enough to emulsify it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

got smoke?

TP5,

I'm really liking what I see here.  My German heritage is telling me I must make this ASAP!  I might have to add some garlic to the list of ingrediants.  Have you tried it that way?  :P

Tenpoint5

Quote from: got smoke? on September 10, 2008, 12:05:31 PM
TP5,

I'm really liking what I see here.  My German heritage is telling me I must make this ASAP!  I might have to add some garlic to the list of ingrediants.  Have you tried it that way?  :P

No I haven't tried adding garlic. I have added a Tblsp of sugar to both the cured and the emulsified to give it a little more sweetness.

I usually give the recipe a try as is then go back and start tweaking it to my tastes.

coleman

That looks really good.  I'm thinking I might have to give it a try one of these days.

Dan

La Quinta

Me too Coleman...looks good and tasty 10.5.  :)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: La Quinta on September 10, 2008, 07:21:44 PM
Me too Coleman...looks good and tasty 10.5.  :)

It is really tasty!! My kids love it sliced with cheese for a snack sammich after school. The best part about this recipe is it is a 5lb recipe. When I make it the first one is usually gone before the second is cold in the fridge. The smoke flavor is better after a night in the fridge in a plastic bag unless you want a whooping from momma for smoking up her fridge.

This is the recipe that got me started in the sausage making thing it is REALLY EASY!!!