Smoking some mozz, ched, gouda

Started by IcedGotti, February 08, 2010, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcedGotti

I've never smoked cheese before, but I do love it from the store.  I didnt know that it needed to "age" for 10 days or so in the fridge.  Everyone uses a vaccume sealer for this.  I however dont have one and the cheese is smoking right now.  So would a ziploc work or saran wrap?  Maybe some other ideas.  Kinda bummed about the wait but hopefully it will come out great.

classicrockgriller

Pensrock smokes alot of cheese and he saran wraps and then ziplock bags it.

Just squeeze as much air as possible out.

Also 10 days is kinda the minimum.

The longer the better.

IcedGotti

K good I already saran wrapped it.  I'll go ahead and ziplock it also.  Is it normal to have a very strong smoke smell.  The meat that I smoke doesnt quite smell like this.  Honestly its almost like an ash tray smell.  I hope this is the norm.  The store bought smoked mozz has a light brown tint to it, mine did not.  Does anyone else get this brown tint.  If not they might cheat and dye it.  Sneaky sneaky.

IcedGotti

I read a few more cheese smokin posts and answered my own question the smell is normal.  Wish I took pics.

classicrockgriller

That is why you age the smoke cheese.

If when you try some and if it still taste harsh, rewrap it and let it set more time.

Quarlow

The cheese needs to absorb the smoke and distribute it throughout. How long did you smoke it for and what did your temp get to? Also what wood did you use? If you smoked it for 2hrs like the Bradley book says you may not be happy with the amount of smoke flavour when it is done. I did mine first batch for 2 hrs with apple at 65 to 70 degrees and the flavour was almost non existant. My next batch will get 4 hrs of oak and I will get the temp around 75 to 80 degrees. If you don't have a cold smoker you can build one quickly with a cardboard box and some aluminum duct. If you want to see mine just ask, I have pics that show it pretty good. You can really keep the temps even with it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

I never vac pack any of my cheese unless I plan on keeping to for more than a few months. I have done about sixty pounds since Thanksgiving this year.