Doing Rib Roast for Christmas

Started by GusRobin, December 19, 2010, 06:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Going to do a standing rib roast for Christmas. Here is the plan.

Ingredients
1 standing rib roast
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Procedures
1)Season with salt and air-dry, uncovered in the refrigerator on a rack overnight before roasting.
2)Preheat smoker to 150°F . Season roast generously with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place roast, with fat cap up,in smoker with 4 hours of smoke. Cook until center of roast IT is 120°F for medium-rare. This should take around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours.
3)Remove roast from smoker and tent tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, and up to an hour and a half. Meanwhile, preheat oven to highest possible temperature setting (500°F to 550°F)
4) 10 minutes before ready to serve, remove foil, and place roast in hot oven and cook until well-browned and crisp on the exterior, 6-10 minutes. Remove from oven, carve, and serve immediately.

Any comments, other ideas, advice?

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

I have one Question.

What time is dinner?

Sounds to me like a great plan!

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 19, 2010, 07:38:19 PM

What time is dinner?
Sometime between 1 and 7. The cooking is easy, the timing is difficult.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SoCalBuilder

Boy does that sound good. I'd even offer to do the dishes afterwards ;D

FLBentRider

I have used that method before, it turned out great.

I used a slightly higher box temp (200F), and I used FTC to transport it to the location where we were serving (Moms house)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

I think you got it, GR.  I'm like FLBR - I like 200 °F for a rib roast.  At 200 °F in a kitchen oven it would take 3.5 - 4 hrs for a bone-in roast to get to ~ 120 , I doubt it would be much different in the Bradley with nothing else in there and good Auber temp control.

With the 30 min rest the temp won't increase appreciably during the hot oven blast, so whatever finished temp you want, take to about 5°F shy of that before you pull it from the initial low temp cook.  At 120 °F in the center, you will be quite rare.  For medium rare I'd pull at ~130 °F, allowing a 5° rise as carryover from the initial cook.  At 500-550 ° in the kitchen oven the crisping will take about 10 min.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

I'll be doing 2 14lb'ers in the BPS for CHRISTmas, no oven, at least not one big enough, going to try to sear on the charcoal grill.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OldHickory

I used a similar plan for the last two standing rib roasts I did.  I used a link from one of the Forum members, probably BLSH or KyNola for the food lab and they came out great. http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html .  I had a 3.75# roast, set PID @ 220*,preheated, set IT for 125*, FTC'd for 2 hr until dinner time, then the 8 min. blast in a 500* oven.  It was rare with a nice crust on the outside.  I will be doing another ( 7.05# ) this Christmas, it is in the refer getting a little more age on it now.   
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

BuyLowSellHigh

That's a great reference.  The practical info is in the companion recipe page. It's well researched and the best guide I have seen.   The comments and responses at the bottom of the recipe page are well worth reading.

SnellySmokesEm

Here's a post from one I did back in July.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16773.msg202934#msg202934

I am doing a small (3lb) for Christmas this year in the SRG and I cant wait!  Good Luck!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah Gus - sounds awesome!

Christmas at GR's house.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

hal4uk

Sounds like you flat out have a GREAT PLAN, Gus!
Just two things I'm thinkin'...

First --- regarding what BLSH said...
He suggests pulling it at 130° instead of 120°...
Well, I'd be in the 120° camp myself -- HOWEVER...
If you are going CT (Cab Temp) of 150°...
the "outer mass" won't reach the temps it would if you were using CT of, say, 200°...
Therefore, you won't have the same IT temp rise during the rest period, right?
As such, I'd split the difference --- Pull at 125°.

That said... Your idea of cooking it at 150°... If you can hold at that good and steady...
You will have an OUTSTANDING finished product.
The "lower and slower" definitely has a positive effect as far as tenderness.
(roasting beef -- be it a cheap cut or a rib roast -- there's some serious magic going on between 80° and 122°)
Just be careful --- try not to let it drop any lower than 150°
(don't wanna risk spending any time in that bacteria danger zone of 40°-140°)
Really, (I LOVE YOUR PLAN)... But, I think I might bump it up to 160° (CT).
(As long as you hold it under 200°, you're gonna have a FANTASTIC finished product.)

The second thing I would add, which may or may not work for ya...
To get that great finished look, and add a wee bit of flavor..
Maybe when you "season and air dry" and/or before applying salt/pep before cooking...
Rub it down with Lea & Perrins.

Some people (NOT MANY), but --- I think FLBR, for example...
Can't eat anything with "fish products" (L&P has anchovies as an ingredient).
This has never been an issue for me, but something to consider.
If it's not a worry for you and your family, I would highly recommend it (I always do it that way).

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Customstox

I am doing a 6.8 # prime rib for a late christmas with my daughter and her bf and after reading this I am planning on cooking it at 200 and pulling it at 120.  Does anyone have a good ball park time for that? And should I smoke it the whole time?  Thank you

BuyLowSellHigh

If you can keep 200 °F, then it will take ~ 3.5 - 4 hours.  At 120 °F it will be quite rare.  Scroll up about 5 posts and see the info on the link I included for some great recipe guidance.

GusRobin

Last night I seasoned the roast with salt and pepper and put in fridge overnight.

At 10:30 this morning put it in the smoker at 160* with 4 hours of a 50-50 mix of apple and hickory. About an hour into the cook I opened a present and got this (thanks Rob)

So at the risk of burning myself, I emptied the unused pucks and replaced them with the new ones.  At about 4:00 I bumped up the temp to 220* since I was running out of time. Removed the roast at 5:45 when the IT hit 125*.
Getting ready for an hour of FTC

After an hour, put in oven set to 500* for about 10 minutes and here is the result. Everyone said it was the best they have had. The pepper, rosemary, thyme flavor was a definite plus.

All in all, a great meal.