Cheese Question

Started by JZ, November 05, 2011, 08:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Just put 4 blocks of cheddar on the smoker with 6 Pecan pucks. Temp outside is -10*C so I don't think I will havea problem with the box getting too hot -- but should I turn on the heater to ensure it gets to 80*F. I have the DBS.

TheHardWay

I think you will be fine.  Cold is OK, you just don't want to get warm so your cheese doesn't melt.

muebe

Yes you should be fine. Perfect temp outside for cold smoking  ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

JZ

That was quick  ---- thanks Guys.

Love this forum and my new DBS. The OBS may get very little use now.

pensrock

It depends, I do run my heat with a PID.  Cheese seems to take on more color at warmer temps. I like to run between 80-90F when doing cheeses. I can not say if the taste is any different but the color is.

JZ

The cheese is done and if I got this right there should be a picture of it below. The IT of the cab got up to 85*F just before I pulled the cheese off. You are right about the colour as the cheese did not seem to take on much - but it sure smells good. It is going to be real hard not to try a piece. I know DON"T do it.

I also had 2 trays of almonds in the smoker. No seasoning or anything but they seem to have taken the smoke well and I have them in an airtight container. They taste pretty good right now, but I think they will be better tomorrow.