Smoking & Temperature

Started by r Ito, February 16, 2006, 09:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r Ito

Hi Everyone:
      Replied in TexasBBQ's post but maybe should have done it this way. (Newbie lol) Was just wondering how long is normal to attain the 200-22- degree range like it says in the manual? I realize outside temp & wind affects heat build-up but had it on high for quite a while and never did reach that temp. Any info appreciated ty  Ron

Phone Guy

I can try and help. First if you were going by the temp gage in the door, it's not always accurate. I use the Maverick ET-73, it has two temp probes one for meat and one for the smoker temp. I recommend picking one up if you haven't already. I try to preheat for at least an hour to get the box nice and hot. The wind is your enemy. Try to get the smoker blocked from the wind. What was the outside temp when you were trying to get to temp?

dick621

Just a thought. Do you have the smoker cabinet plugged in in the back of the smoke generator and the rheostat slide under the door all the way to the right.  Sometimes we can ovelook the obvious.  Been there done that.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

IKnowWood

Also if you have it loaded with meat or empty.  empty, geting to 200 should go real fast.  Even in wind.

Full (or with food) near the door probe will show it not getting there, you are measuring a difference of heated chamber and meat.  And that may not be quite correct.  

What I hav edone when smoking in real cold and mild wind was some bricks that were in when I preheated empty for 1 hour.  This got it real hot.  And recovering was not to bad.

In Garage, in 40s, recover can respond in as quick as 20 to 30 minutes.  No wind and temps are not to bad.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

Hi i live in illinois and its 20 degrees here and my smoker is stuffed with chicken ribs and salmon and yes i did take a while to get up to 200 it mantained the temps very well.I did preheat the bs to 275 then put the stuff in and it kept a good solid 200.There was very little wind as i have this in my shed but its still cold.And the stuff came out great.