Conversion help /'cream sausage'

Started by dreys50, August 11, 2014, 08:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreys50

I am trying to make Czech 'cream sausage' and the only recipe I have been able to locate calls for quarts of boiled meat.

I was not sure how to go about converting this or if anyone has any experience with doing a recipe this way. I have found answers from 1.5-2 lbs or so, but with no real reasoning behind it. If nothing else I'll grind some meat and fill a quart container, but figured I'd ask.

6 quarts boiled pork, ground
3 quarts boiled beef, ground

3 quarts sliced white bread
1 quart sweet cream
2 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp mace
1 tsp pepper
1 cup wine
1 Tbsp lemon rind/zest chopped fine

Mix thoroughly; stuff into weiner type (sheep) casings.

This recipe is out of a very small cookbook called Kucharka Ceska by Past Chief's Association of the Pythian Sisters.

Habanero Smoker

With the amount of liquid in this recipe, and salt; it will be much more than 1.5-2lbs.

The Chow site provides accurate information, especially when all or most agree on the thread. According to their members, raw meat has almost the same density as water so 2 cups = 1 pint = 16 oz = 1lb.
Ground Beef: Pound to Cup Conversion

A more extensive search on "Ground Beef: Pound to Cup Conversion" Will provide more results.

Once it is cooked the density changes, and you could be looking at 2.5 cups per pound. You may just want to buy 1 pound of each, boil then separately as directed in the recipe, and then  measure. You should be able to calculate from there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)