Second element - fusable link and temp sensor required?

Started by jimmyb, December 29, 2010, 03:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

So I went to one of the postings for adding a second element and ordered up all of the parts from Yard and Pool. As I continued reading some of the posts on this it seems that some are adding a temp sensor and fusable link with the second element. I understand this is a safety for the second element and seeing some pics of the OBS on fire really has me overly concerned. So the question is this; should I order up the fuse and sensor or go with what I have already ordered? I am running with a PID and I would think that if the heat got too hot the PID would shut it down anyway. Just looking for others opinions and if this is what most are doing.

Toker

Me, i did installed a 2ND fuse and sensor just in case the pid fail, but it up to you.

love the smoke

I run a dual element and a PID but I still installed the extra heat sensor and also the fuse link wire from Y&P

LTS

Its worth the extra few bucks for piece of mind
LTS

TestRocket

Hey Jimmy,

Many people before me have made the second element mod without all the safety features as in the original element and I've not read a thread where there has been a problem because of the second element (not that hasn't, I just haven't run across it).

So with that said I wanted to make my mod as close as it could be if it had come from Bradley. The only real difference was I used an on/off switch and not the slider control. I did that so if something ever happened to my PID I could just use the original element and controls.

So to me it was a personal safety/and could I do it kind of thing that didn't add much to the cost and may have added a second level of safety.

Good luck!

jimmyb

Ok, just as I thought, better safe than sorry. God forbid I do this and something happens I will never forgive myself. Geez, for a couple of bucks why the hell not? I just wish I had placed it with the first order. No biggie. I'll place another. Thanks all for setting me straight on this.

Toker

Hey Jimmy, since I'M a good guy  :D let me tell you a small secret (but keep it between you and me  :D) Since you have to order additional parts, what i would do to make it worth it is, order 3 fuses 3 sensor and 2 more elements. This way, if something happends, you won't be down. Bradley seems to have a bad element batch these days. I regularly read here on the forum that a fuse or an element blow. Please be wiser than me and order replacement parts right away you won't regret it I'M sure. Anyway you have to order from yard and pool.  But keep it between us  :D

jimmyb

Mums the word. I will not tell a soul but will follow your advice

TedEbear

Quote from: jimmyb on December 29, 2010, 03:04:27 PM
As I continued reading some of the posts on this it seems that some are adding a temp sensor and fusable link with the second element.

As far as the over-temp sensor, couldn't you just use the one that's already in there without having to add another? 

The reason I'm interested in this discussion is I ordered everything I think I'll need for a 2nd element the other day from Y&P as well as some PID controller conversion stuff from Auber.  I will probably add a smaller rated second fuse for the smoke generator and PID controller and use the existing 10A for the heating elements.  The 10A one that's already there will be borderline with two 500W elements, a 125W smoker puck burner, the puck advancing motor and the PID controller.

smoker pete

When my Son installed a second element in my OBS we chose to keep it simple.  Removed everything out of the OBS circuit.  That included the slider, circuit board, power light, fusable link, temp sensor, etc. (we left all the components in place but they are not functional).  We just wired the 2 elements to the AC plug which is controlled by my PID.  Works great for me.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

TedEbear

I was looking more closely at the wiring in mine tonight.  Why the heck did Bradley fuse the neutral instead of the hot side???

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 02, 2011, 06:43:49 AM
Quote from: jimmyb on December 29, 2010, 03:04:27 PM
As I continued reading some of the posts on this it seems that some are adding a temp sensor and fusable link with the second element.

As far as the over-temp sensor, couldn't you just use the one that's already in there without having to add another? 

The reason I'm interested in this discussion is I ordered everything I think I'll need for a 2nd element the other day from Y&P as well as some PID controller conversion stuff from Auber.  I will probably add a smaller rated second fuse for the smoke generator and PID controller and use the existing 10A for the heating elements.  The 10A one that's already there will be borderline with two 500W elements, a 125W smoker puck burner, the puck advancing motor and the PID controller.

The extra temperature sensor, and fuse are great extra precautions, but as long as you have a PID or other temperature controlling device you are safe. When I wired mine I used the two guidelines that are posted on the recipe site.  As for the fuse in the generator, I would not change that. When you plug the cabinet into your PID you should plug your PID directly into a wall outlet or a seperate outlet on a power strip, thus by passing the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

When you plug the cabinet into your PID you should plug your PID directly into a wall outlet or a seperate outlet on a power strip, thus by passing the generator.

And have no protection for an expensive PID controller?  ???   I don't think so.  I'll be installing it in the smoke generator box, not a stand-alone model.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 03, 2011, 06:44:41 AM
When you plug the cabinet into your PID you should plug your PID directly into a wall outlet or a seperate outlet on a power strip, thus by passing the generator.

And have no protection for an expensive PID controller?  ???   I don't think so.  I'll be installing it in the smoke generator box, not a stand-alone model.

Either I missed one of your post, which I often do miss a few posts from time to time, or you just wasn't clear on what you where doing prior to your above post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

QuoteEither I missed one of your post, which I often do miss a few posts from time to time, or you just wasn't clear on what you where doing prior to your above post.

If you were talking about a stand-alone PID controller, which normally has an internal fuse to protect it, then I could see plugging it directly into a wall outlet.  The PID controller I'm adding will be mounted in the smoke generator box and I want to have some sort of overcurrent protection between it and the outlet.

BTW, any idea why Bradley fused the neutral side of the OBS instead of the hot?  From what I've read that isn't the best way to do it, especially in a grounded cabinet.  The hot side stays hot if the fuse blows and then all someone would have to do is touch that and the grounded metal cabinet to complete the circuit and get zapped.

Habanero Smoker

About the fuse, I've never noticed and couldn't answer that question. One of the electricians on the board should be able to answer that question.

I
         don't
                   inhale.