New Orleans style BBQ shrimp

Started by KyNola, October 11, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Guys and gals, most of you know Jan and I are huge fans of all things New Orleans.  We searched high and low for NOLA style BBQ shrimp recipes.  We looked at well over 25 recipes and took the best of all of them and came up with this one.

Warning:  it is not the healthiest dish you will ever prepare.  Hope you like it.

3 slices of bacon chopped into small pieces
1/2 pound butter(told you it wasn't healthy)
2 tbsp Dijon style mustard
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tbsp liquid crab boil
1/2 tsp of your favorite hot sauce
1 1/2 pounds large shell-on shrimp

Preheat your oven to 375.  While the oven is heating, prepare the sauce.  In a small saute pan, fry the bacon until clear.  Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the shrimp.  Simmer until butter is melted and all is well mixed.

Place the shrimp in a baking dish and pour the sauce all over them tossing to make sure the shrimp are well coated.  Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with crusty french bread for dipping.

Welcome to New Orleans.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Me likes most things from Louisiana. You cook with shell on after you devine the shrimp? And then peel and eat at the table.

I like the ingredients and looks easy to do. My kind of recipe.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on October 11, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Warning:  it is not the healthiest dish you will ever prepare.  Hope you like it.

That in and of itself says copy and paste this one IT'S GONNA BE GOOD!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

CRG,
You can split the shell down the back and devein the shrimp if preferred and the shrimp look really dirty.  I generally don't devein shrimp as the vein really doesn't bother me all that much.

I know you're a displaced cajun.  I was waiting for your reaction to see what you thought about the recipe.  NePaS will wade in on this one too as he is also a fan of NOLA.

What do you say NePaS?

KyNola 

KyNola

Up next, Jan's red beans and rice.  This one is just too good.

Stay tuned for the next edition of "New Orleans style cooking in Kentucky".  The Neely's in Memphis ain't got a damn thing on us.  :D :D

KyNola

P.S. I'm not giving out my gumbo "receipt".  It's a secret. ;)  Besides, I don't want to embarrass myself in front of CRG's cousin who sounds like a gumbo aficionado to me.  Anybody who places third in the pro division of the New Iberia Gumbo Competition is far ahead of me when it comes to gumbo.  Mine does have home smoked tasso and smoked pork loin in it just to kick it a little.

classicrockgriller

KN, his gumbo is seafood so yours is probably as good as his just on a different level. I am going to call him in a bit to see how he did.

Is that coarse or fine ground Thyme?

KyNola

Let us know how he did.

Fine ground thyme.(sorry)

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

KY, my last girlfriend when I was in the States was from Houma LA and her mother use to make some thing very similar to your recipe. I can still taste it. Thanks for sharing yours.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

HR,
Does your wife know about that girlfriend from Houma LA?  Remember, you just barely escaped with your life from 9 women over smoked cheese so answer wisely. ;) :D

Houma used to have a great radio station I used to listen to when in the New Orleans area.  KHOM, I think they changed their format as I haven't listened to them in years.

If you try the recipe, let me know your family's reaction.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Ky off course she does not and I am not crazy enough to tell her.

I will let you know their reaction as soon as we try it. But I have a question for you. Can I substitute the liquid crab boil and if so with what. I am almost sure I can not find that here.

HR

KyNola

HR,
Hadn't thought about that.  Let me think about that one and get back to you.  CRG, NePaS, got any thoughts?

HR, first thing I thought of but shipping cost might be tough getting it to Jordan would be to go online and order it.  Try searching for Zatarain liquid crab boil or Rex liquid crab boil.  Caution: When they say this stuf is potent, they aren't kidding.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Ky I found something similar on eBay but it looks like it is either powder or granules. Would that do?

HR

Ka Honu

Not sure what the proportion would be but shouldn't you be able to use one of the dry boil mixes/seasonings (Zatarains, Old ♦Bay, etc.)?

squirtthecat

Yum!

KyNola, I'll have to show this to 'Bubba' when he gets back from Florida..

His version has a different spin on this.

KyNola

KH,
I thought of using the dry crab boil seasonings like you mention and I think that is probably what HR found on ebay but the trouble is the proportions as you described as you only use 2 tbsps of the liquid.  I'm thinking you might take some of dry seasonings, dissolve some of it in water and use 2 tbsps of the seasoned water.

What do you think KH, maybe 2-3 tbsps of the seasoning in a cup or two of water, heat and dissolve?

STC, I sent the recipe to Hal today.

KyNola