Smoking in Winter, I feel the need for a hot butt!

Started by Bobbert, January 04, 2010, 02:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

SnellySmokesEm

Good Job, Thanks for the pics!  I dont have to worry about cold weather smoking here in FLA!   ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Bobbert

The smoke generator was on my tool bench getting a cleaning!

A side benefit of the box it give me a safe place to store my smoker when not in use.  I put a butter tub in the obx vetn hoel to stop the dirt and items from dropping on the smoker (you can see it in the pictures)

Also I cut the door shorter to make sure I had some air flow through the box.

When I smoke my butt last weekend using the "mop shower" (as labeled by KyNola) the butt cooked in 14 hours durning a very cold night, and this was about 2 to 3 hours faster than normal.  I only open the door one time to change the water and used the "mop shower".  The butt was very moist!! 

Hope this helps others!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

lumpy

I like your cabinet. I too was thinking about making one out of plywood but my concern is the weather.
What will the wood look like after rain, snow and the sun.

Still thinking Hotel Bradley is the best route to go.
Thanks for the pictures.

Lumpy

ArnieM

I'm still thinking cabinet too Lumpy.

I figure on 3/4" marine grade plywood.  Seal all cut edges.  Assemble with waterproof glue and right-angle brackets bolted through for the 90o joints.  Then prime and paint inside and out.  Maybe even a few shingles for the roof if I can find some scrap.

I was thinking of overall dimensions of 48"Wx30"Dx76"H(front), 73"H(rear).  I'd put a good size louvered vent on on the SG side and a couple of tight fitting doors.  Of course, some shelving on the inside.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Bobbert

Knock yourself out Arnie  ;D 

As far as weather proofing- I have a walk out from my basement, and it it pretty protected from the rain and snow, wind and cold were my enemy!  otherwise I will just put the Hotel Bradley back in my workshop away from the elements! 

Smokem if ya Gottem!!

lumpy

Arnie
Whats a 4x8 sheet of marine plywood cost these days?

Might still be cheaper to buy a cabinet.

Lump