11 Crabs

Started by oguard, July 06, 2005, 07:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oguard

I just got back from the Sunshine Coast.It is located northwest of Vancouver B.C. about a 40 minute ferry ride.It is called the sunshine coast because it receives more sunlight hours than any where else in B.C.[8D] The crab fishing was awesome 11 keepers all 7" and better Dungeness.We only used one trap or we could of caught a lot more.The prawn fishing wasn't good we only caught 4.The prawns live very deep 320',thats a lot of rope to pull up for 4 prawns Well that was my first fishing trip of the year.Next it is off to the west coast of Vancouver Island it is about 6 hrs away.We will be fishing for Chinook and Coho[:p][:p] or Kings and Silvers for our American cousins.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Kummok

Nice catch Mike! Wish we could still fish for Dungees here in Kachemak Bay[:(] Twas a time a decade back when we could pull in 50 -100 crab with salmon nets by motoring around the shallow bays at low tide and dipping them right outta the water from the boat! I STILL like Dungees better than King crab[:p][:p][:D] Hmmmmm.....maybe you could attach a few to the bellys of the next few schools of feeder Kings you send up this way[;)][:D][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

oguard

I will see what I can do Kummok[:D].What should I use to attach the crab maybe I can make up a little back pack for them[:D][}:)][:D].

BTW what happened to all the crab,overfishing or climate change?
I know the Sechelt inlet has been over fished for Rock cod and it is tough to find them.10 years ago any rocky bottom and you would have dinner within 1/2 an hour.Now you can fish all day without catching one[:(][:(].

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />I STILL like Dungees better than King crab[:p][:p][:D] <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had King crab Tuesday. I love those long leggs. We get ours from Costco here in Redding.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Next it is off to the west coast of Vancouver Island i<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where to Mike, Nootka? I just finished work today for the summer but won't be able to make any WCVI trips till October. I am keeping my boat in Sooke tho, so I will be able to zip out quite often.
Tom

oguard

T2 I will be staying at Cougar Creek(it is about 1 hour from Gold river,just off the Tahsis highway) the forestry campground.I will be up there last week in July the fishing is usually good then[:)].Have you been out fishing latley?

Mike

Oldman

Believe it or not we have Dungees crabs in the deep waters of the Gulf.  IMO--believe it or not--there is nothing as white in color as the meat, sweeter in flavor than our warm water Blue crabs. Its just so darn hard to pick that meat out of the body.

Now here is the plus... we have many back water areas that years ago got dam up. They are now fresh bodies of water. One item that survived this transition was the Blue... Well, a Blue crab has no enemies in fresh water. Has anyone here ever seen a male Blue crap 12" to 14" across point to point? Shoot even the gators don't eat them. LOL! The only problem here is many folks have caught onto this, and when I want large Blues I have to now drive a couple hours out into nowhere.

Dungees, King and even Snow craps are great,,, but they cannot stand up to a fresh water Blue~~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Olds-love to try some blue sometime--you'll have to take me out if I ever get down to Florida, Raye. Meanwhile, it's dungeness for me.
Mike-I went out last Saturday in Sooke.We got a pink and a coho for the bbq. Springs seem slower than the previous 2 years but there seems to be lots of coho around. Most of the coho are wild so you can't keep them but you can usually get a couple of hatchery fish for the bbq. The pinks are already starting to show and I think they'll be so thick in another week you won't be able to use bait to try for springs as the pinks will always be on the line. We are going to a music festival in Courtenay for the weekend but after that I'll be fishing several times a week.
Tom

oguard

Good for you Tom[:)].I am looking forward to stocking the freezer and so are my neighbors[:D].The first week of August the bradley will going full out.The smell of alder smoke nothing beats that[:D][:D]

Mike