Can't get OBS above about 220.....

Started by uniman, April 05, 2010, 02:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniman

Preheating the OBS, i can never really get it about 225 degrees.

Whenever meat is in, it is more around 200, maybe getting up to 210-220 ABSOLUTE TOPS.

I have just been smoking away at these temps, and seen to be doing ok.

Is this safe?  Will this dry out poultry too much???

Wonder if I should worry about this, or if low and slow is king anyways.

I have NEVER hit 250 with this thing!

advice? suggestions?

uniman

BTW, I wrapped a small brick in foil and placed in the bottom of the OBS.

These temps are taking that into account.

TTNuge

I never set mine above 225* but it's certainly able to get higher if I wanted.  Your food should be fine at that temp but I can't say for certain everything is 100% perfect with your unit. 

What are you using to verify temps?

FLBentRider

Sounds about right.

What is your vent position?

how are you measuring the temp?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

uniman

vent position is I usually split it, go half open and half closed.  Seems like a happy medium that way.  :-)

For measuring, I am just using the thermometer attached to the door.  I guess that does measure it fairly high, so cooking temps might be a bit higher.

FLBentRider

If you food is below the level of the door thermometer, the heat that the food absorbs will cause the thermometer to read low.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Paddlinpaul

I am have the same situation with my OBS. Did a brisket this weekend and dropped below 200 when I turned off the smoke generator. Had to turn it back on just to hit 225. Outside temp was over 70. I am waiting for a PID to be delivered, and will see what its wall mounted sensor says once it is installed.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

moodyfisherman

I have a question along the same lines........I can't remember if the bigger gauge wire cord (short jumper cord) is the one that should go from the smoker box to Auber dual sensor controller. I am using what looks like a regular computer power cord going from the smoke generator to the power outlet,and the same smaller diameter cord from the Auber to the power outlet...is this all good?
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

classicrockgriller

it is a 18 AWG and the shorter the better, exspecially on a long cook and with dual elements.

Smokey the Bear.

If you shield your smoker from the wind the temps will keep up just fine. ;D
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

bobktz

Your are more then sade at that temp. Look at any meat thermomiter, 170* is well done for pork and beef and 180* for chicken.

bobktz

I mean safe not sade sorry should have used spell ck.

Quarlow

First off forget the door thermo. Get a probe type thermo and hang it under the lowest rack you are cooking on. This is easy by hooking 2 paperclips to the rack and then slide the temp probe into the paperclips.
Second make sure you are using an outlet that does not have a bunch of other things drawing from it. Check to see what else is on the circuit and get as many things as possible off of it. Preferably everything but your smoker.
And third make sure you use as short of an extension cord as possible and as heavy a gauge as you can. I have an 18 ga, cord that is only 15 feet long that I made myself just for this. I also have to unplug my computer and run a seperate cord threw the house so the only thing on the circuit is the smoker.
Plus the wind is our enemy so shield it from the wind as best as you can.
That should help you out.  Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.