Memphis, TN

Started by ADH, January 30, 2011, 01:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADH

So I'm looking at a possible transfer to the Memphis area. Is there anyone here that lives in the area. If so I may be having some ?'s for you.  Thanks

TestRocket

Hello ADH,

After reading your post I didn't recall any member from the Memphis area on my own but I remembered one of our members (RossP) putting in many hours and compiling a KML file of our locations in Goggle Earth.

Try this link to get and idea of the location of the Bradley members that choose to give Ross their zip codes:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?749-Bradley-Smoker-Universe

Good luck with the transfer!  ;D

ADH

TR, Thanks I will look at that in the morning after I get to the office. thanks again.

TestRocket

Turns out I may be one of the few that are nearby and anyone of us are willing to help out! So ask away! Really!  ;D

Caneyscud

Is Nashville close enough?  Been here 33 years.  There is a new member I think from Covington, and I think there is one or two from Jackson.  Can't say I know all that much about Memphis, but did spend the better part of a year there babysitting a project 4 years ago.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ADH

Thanks, it's always nice to know someone is willing to help out.. I should know something in the next two weeks.

hal4uk

ADH...

I have family in Memphis...
I can tell you it's a lot like NOLA -- meaning that you NEED to know where to stay out of.
Great city --- but know where you are.

St. Louis is another city I put in that same category.
Great place -- But, you'd best know where you are and what you are doing.

What do you wanna know about Memphis?
Where to live?  Try Germantown or Collierville.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ADH

Hal, thanks Collierville would be pretty close to the office off of I-40 from what I've read is Germantown is nice but depends on what neighborhood your in. East of the loop is where I would want to be. If this does actually become a reality for me. I will be asking for more information.  Thanks to all.

Caneyscud

Thats the right direction!  Did not want to mention it, by Hal hit it on the head.  NOLA and Memphis seem to vie for top spot in crimes and other things.  The high crime areas are pretty concentrated and you can avoid them.  With that being said, Memphis is a pretty fun place.  Places to live.  Whether you want to live in city or not.  In city, it is tougher - unless you want an urban style of living.  In the City, the taxes are usually higher, but you trade that off for the commute.  Mid-town is sorta in the middle.  Lots of older houses, with great yards and gardens - but a little higher in the price range I believe.  Outlying - Hal has hit it - Germantown and Collierville.  But there is also Cordova (but I think you have city taxes there West of Germantown Parkway - but I don't think east of the parkway yet) and Arlington and Bartlett. Some of the areas are further than other and have better services and schools, but all good, but have heard great things about Arlington especially about schools.  Also look to Lakeland - not heard good things about the real estate market there though - which can be a good thing or a bad thing.  Also a little further out Oakland. 

You of course have the Memphis in May BBQ contest, lots of BBQ places to choose from, Beale Street, Mud Island, theNational Ornamental Metal Museum, Rendezvous, Gus' Fried Chicken, Huey's Hamburgers, Bahama Breeze, a pretty good zoo, the Orpheum theater, seeing the Fed Ex takeoff at the airport, Joe's Crab Shack at the mall near Germantown on Wed or Thurs has a Bike get together where hundreds if now thousands of bikes show up, a top notch minor league baseball field, pretty good dining, lots of nightlife, Lorraine Motel, the Grizzlies, Graceland, and of course the Ducks at the Peabody, and it is the home of Piggly Wiggly (yes there is a museum - The Pink Palace Museum). 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ADH

Caneyscud, thanks for the info.. After my phone call today, Which went really good, I should know something end of next week or beginning of the following. We also talked about the housing up there also.. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a positive outcome on this. :)