Sweet Bread Starter

Started by classicrockgriller, August 26, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 31, 2011, 05:39:53 PM
That's too high for anything yeast based. 105 is the limit. In the oven with the light on should work also, but will probably take 24 hours or so.

That's good info to know. I thought it was 130*.

Smokin Soon

Not for mixing, just for dehydrating. I have always used 110* for mixing. Your 120* is just right considering your going to give it a swirl in a cold jar.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

That's awesome SS. Thank you so much for the test results.

Excellent pic.....The bread and rolls look "sweet"!!

OU812

Great info SS.

I think I'm gonna take my starter outta the freezer, feed it, make somthing out of it to see if its still alive then feed again and dry.

Need every inch I can get in the freezer.  ;D

Smokin Soon

Ou812, I started the process with room temp starter the morning after a feed the night before. Retained 1 cup and dehydrated 2.

OU812

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 01, 2011, 08:26:55 AM
Ou812, I started the process with room temp starter the morning after a feed the night before. Retained 1 cup and dehydrated 2.

Thanks for the heads up SS

OU812

Made some bread the other night.  ;D

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokin Soon

I've got a few experiments up my sleeve. Some friends that tasted the bread say that it has the taste of a "Herman". Brought over from Europe and used in "Amish Friendship Bread". The true "Herman" is a sweet sourdough bread. If that is what we have it is really possible that a feeding without sugar could result in some good sourdough. I'm gonna try a batch just fed with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour, let it bubble for a day or two and see.
Next experiment will be a rye variant with beer, cheese and garlic.

Sonny, I hope the the old gals in Texas don't think of this as an insult to there wonderful starter, as the original will be preserved.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 01, 2011, 05:23:06 PM
I've got a few experiments up my sleeve. Some friends that tasted the bread say that it has the taste of a "Herman". Brought over from Europe and used in "Amish Friendship Bread". The true "Herman" is a sweet sourdough bread. If that is what we have it is really possible that a feeding without sugar could result in some good sourdough. I'm gonna try a batch just fed with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour, let it bubble for a day or two and see.
Next experiment will be a rye variant with beer, cheese and garlic.

Sonny, I hope the the old gals in Texas don't think of this as an insult to there wonderful starter, as the original will be preserved.

They are tickled pink everytime I tell them about the different things going on with the starter.

OU812

You go SS.  ;D

When compared with my sourdough they are very close Sonny is just sweeter.  ::)

Bet you dont here that every day Sonny.  :D

Smokin Soon

Sonny's Sweet Bread Starter goes to Asia!
Dehydrated another batch today, will ship to buddies in Thailand and Phillipines. Not too sure of what kind of flour they have, but I bet it works!! The warm and humid climate is usually good for yeast development.
I hope the old gals that are keeper of the starter get a giggle from this!

OU812

Yeeee Haaaa!!!!

The satrter has crossed the pond.  ;D

classicrockgriller

As soon as I read this I called one of the keepers and

she said she would pass along the info.

Way to go SS!