Whole Pork Shoulders and Legs on sale -- Ontario

Started by Smokeville, January 12, 2012, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

If you live in Ontario anywhere near a Fortinos (Loblaws franchise), whole pork shoulders and legs are on sale until Jan 26th for .99/c per pound.

I picked one up a few days ago and make "Porketta" which uses all dill instead of fennel......

First, it gets boned and butterflied, then rubbed with salt, dill seed, dill weed, black pepper and garlic. Then it gets rolled up and tied and left for 24 hours in the fridge.

The next day, it hits the oven.....

5-6 hours at 325F in convection oven.

Best non-smoked pork I've ever had!

Smokeville

lumpy

Food basics has shoulder on sale for.88 cents a pound.

Smokeville

Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2012, 05:21:00 PM
Food basics has shoulder on sale for.88 cents a pound.

Yes, I saw that this evening in the flyer. But they said Picnic shoulders, and the photo seemed to indicate that it was whole picnics without the butt. I will check it out tomorrow when the sale starts....

On the other hand, almost all the pork I have ever seen at FB has been injected with stuff I don't want.

Smokeville

And, hey Lumpy, you're from Kitchener, the centre of the universe for great pork! And other German and Mennonite delights.

(I used to live there at near Victoria and Highland and worked of faculty/staff at WLU).

lumpy

Quote from: Smokeville on January 12, 2012, 08:38:07 PM
And, hey Lumpy, you're from Kitchener, the centre of the universe for great pork! And other German and Mennonite delights.

Piggy heaven!
I work at UW..............

lumpy

I usually get my pork from Central. Have never tried FB......because of the crap they inject.

Lump

Smokeville

Quote from: lumpy on January 13, 2012, 10:55:44 AM
I usually get my pork from Central. Have never tried FB......because of the crap they inject.

Lump

I guess we are off topic but from 1973-1975 my wife and I lived in King's Towers right beside Central. Great store at the time. We did most of our shopping there as well as Hiway Market and Dutch Boy. Gosh, I do miss KW.

There used to be a family run butcher shop in St. Clements and I bought several pigs from there, and he smoked the legs.